Slugs

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Karsal

Field Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
3 Pay*es Poly Hives 7 Poly Nucs
I know that we tend to bang on this time of year to treat our bees for varroa and put mouse guards over the hive entrances but my biggest problem has been leopard slugs. They can squeeze through mouse guards without a problem.
I've opened my hives for their first inspection in spring only to find upwards of 20 or more that have overwintered in the warmth of the hive.
Trails of slime all over frames and poo.
Last year I got some road salt and surrounded the legs of each hive stand with it and this worked, a few slug pellets under the hive in the dry killed the ones already making their way towards the entrances.
I wonder if anyone else has had this problem?

Not to that extent but have used piles of ash round legs to deter slugs and ants. Earwigs are my problem this year!
E

One of my hives had chalk brood this year, as a result of the chalk brood being thrown out of the hive, slugs would feast on this and also end up in the hive. Very common to find slugs, mainly leopard slugs in the hive. Group of 4 or 5 on the hive floor, between the last frame and hive wall. Slugs getting rid of the mummified bees not a problem, but I don’t want them in the hive. So slug pellets down, any slug in the hive removed and killed. Copper strip placed around the entrance to the hive.

Not to that extent but have used piles of ash round legs to deter slugs and ants. Earwigs are my problem this year!
E

Earwigs have been a problem for me to , I use copper tape around my omf floors and that works for slugs . What can be done about the earwigs ?

Sorry to jump in here but @ Enrico having earwig problems can it make the colony quite aggressive ?
Thanks
Mark.

I have problems with leopard slugs too. I sprinkle slug pellets around the legs of the stands. I use nematodes in the garden, but the hives are on a flat roof well out of reach of hedgehogs.

Slugs, earwigs, ants, but most of all the wasps have caused me the biggest problem this year,
i have lost several nucs due to wasp overload:hairpull:

I haven't noticed aggression due to earwigs but to be honest I hadn't been looking. When I take the roof off I can drop fifty odd onto the ground! I presume they are getting sustainance from the hive and not just using it to shelter from the ever baking sun we are still getting here! Still no rain!!!!!
E

I think its been a good year for earwigs - I also seem to have more than is "usual", but the bees seem to chase them away mostly if they get anywhere near the combs. Wigs seem to just hang out in the nooks and crannies. Had a few largish beetles on occasions but they too seem to be mainly seeking shelter. I don't have slugs - permanent site covered in 'prickly' gravel. Used to have slugs in hives in the field on stands: garden hives on stands stood on raised paving slabs meant slugs were seldom an issue.

We have always had loads of earwigs in the hives, usually between the roof and crownboard, but some in the hive and the bees ignore them. The poly nucs don't get so many though.

Enrico, I can't believe you have had no rain! We have had loads and forecast to get more, it is also chilly especially in the evening. The ivy has just started flowering so we could do with it warming up a bit.

Went through my hives today. 1st was a poly neuc, 4 small leopard slugs in it. Removed them and dropped 3 or 4 drips oxcilic acid onto them. That sorted them out! Any more would have got the same treatment but no more found.

We have always had loads of earwigs in the hives, usually between the roof and crownboard, but some in the hive and the bees ignore them. The poly nucs don't get so many though.

Enrico, I can't believe you have had no rain! We have had loads and forecast to get more, it is also chilly especially in the evening. The ivy has just started flowering so we could do with it warming up a bit.

We have had a teaspoonful in three months. My veg patch has cracks three inches wide and I broke my fork trying to get a carrot out! Rain is forecast for tonight hopefully. If I didn't have a well which I pump water out all my garden would be dead!
E

Just for the record, since I have been standing my hives on agricultural gate matting covered in chippings I have had no slugs!
E

Back