Slugs under hives?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dickbowyer

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Some hives and a few nucs
Went out to check on the girls to find all 4 hives have "baby" slugs in abundence :eek: sheltering underneath. Any suggestions for this behaviour?

I've got a few slugs under my hives also, possibly finding something tasty there epsecially if OMF.

Get some chickens or ducks, slug problem sorted.

There is probably some stuff falling through the floor that they have found to be tasty.

Looks like sugar or pollen is on the mneu..............

They crawl all the way up the wall to the entrance of my observation hive. Bees dont seem to bother about them.

Yuck, they're revolting. I get my partner to chop them up as a treat for the birds - I have a bit of a phobia of them!

They look like leopard slugs.... which I thought were carnivorous?? I have had those inside hives.

somehow the snail shell makes snails more appealing.
Cazza

and the shell makes it easier to hold when you are eating them....

I've put sticky-backed copper tape around the legs of the hive stand. Slugs won't cross it.

Yuck, they're revolting. I get my partner to chop them up as a treat for the birds - I have a bit of a phobia of them!

Put a nice treat down for them. Salt.

nasty slugs

I tried removing the shell from a snail to see if it would be able to move faster. The result was just it got more sluggish.

Latest posts

Back