slugs in hive

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

abb

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
Langstroth
Number of Hives
hi everybody, has anyone had this problem, today i was checking my hive and found 4 slugs in it in the edge of the frames . shall i be worried?:angelsad2:thanks

If the colony looks ok then I wouldn't worry, I often find slugs on the crownboard, the roofs are a good fit so they must enter through the entrance, It seems to me that some colonies tolerate slugs and some do not as it seems to be the same hives with the slugs and earwig in.

Enzo

I also noticed a number of slugs around the hive (it's located in open, sheltered woodland). Solved the problem by putting adhesive copper tape around the legs of the stand - available in garden centres or online from Crocus. The slugs get a shock when they try to crawl over it, and soon give up.

Pity it doesn't work on wasps.....;)

Aside from the fact that I would freak (saw someone eat a role once and a slug reared up out of it) do the viruses that they carry affect bees at all. I know they have them because we worm our dog with special stuff due to the fact that he eats slugs sometimes and they carry a bug/virus/mite whatever it is. And this worming stuff kills the slug specific things.

I have had those carniverous leopard slugs inside some hives... and under them often. Apart from the fact that they make me jump.....i don't think they do any harm. They seem interested in buts of dead bee rather than comb.

I have had those carniverous leopard slugs inside some hives... and under them often. Apart from the fact that they make me jump.....i don't think they do any harm. They seem interested in buts of dead bee rather than comb.

Just the butts?! Sorry .... ;)

Its lungworm that might affect dogs.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/8614417.stm

I see that Bayer are the people to help. Slugs are unpleasant things to see in hives but I doubt that they do much long-term harm.

Just the butts?! Sorry .... ;)

Its lungworm that might affect dogs.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/8614417.stm

I see that Bayer are the people to help. Slugs are unpleasant things to see in hives but I doubt that they do much long-term harm.

the BBC seems to turning into the Bayer Broadcasting Company, if you listen to the regional gardening programs

LOL. That also reminded me that I still don't have a dog and I still want one!

Moved a nuc up onto a higher stand the other day and a beautiful snake was curled up under the mesh floor, (mesh only covers a 2 inch hole in the floor) did not seem at all bothered by me just moved out of the way so I could put a stand down.

Latest posts

Back