Slug trails on foundation

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BernardBlack

Field Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Spotted a slug inside hive the other day, and he had been over the undrawn foundation of two frames, leaving a fair bit of trails.

Would they need to be discarded or should I just wipe them down or what would be advised?

Slightly warm water should wash off no bother. Too warm/ hot and you risk damaging the foundation but it should clean no bother. Try a damp cloth 1st. And check the slug has left. I’ve had 5 or 6 in mine.

I would imagine the bees would clean it up or refuse to use it?
I could be wrong though.

Maybe just offer one frame rather than a whole box full

Last edited:
I would imagine the bees would clean it up or refuse to use it?
I could be wrong though.

Maybe just offer one frame rather than a whole box full
You're not wrong, the bees are hygienic to a microscopic level.

If you want to clean if off of the foundation yourself, rather than leave it to the bees, you'd be better off just wiping the foundation with a dry cloth.
Slug and snail mucus absorbs water, so trying to wash it off of your hands (or foundation) with water just makes it thicker and stickier. A dry rub is the quickest way to get it off.

Spotted a slug inside hive the other day, and he had been over the undrawn foundation of two frames, leaving a fair bit of trails.

Would they need to be discarded or should I just wipe them down or what would be advised?

Had this problem several times over winter.
Stopped the buggers getting into the hives by piling road salt around each leg of my hive stands and placing a lidded jam jar with slug pellets inside with a largish hole in the lid. Hedgehogs etc cannot get inside and if the jars are off the floor the slugs usually die inside them.

Latest posts

Back