Sloppy fondant

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If one thought this through it would be obvious why fondant is less stress on the bees than granulated sugar. It will take less water for them to be able to suck it up. I know water is available as condensation in the hive, but it is too cold and risky for them to venture out for water. I try to do what is best for my bees not best or more convenient for me

If one thought this through it would be obvious why fondant is less stress on the bees than granulated sugar. It will take less water for them to be able to suck it up. I know water is available as condensation in the hive, but it is too cold and risky for them to venture out for water. I try to do what is best for my bees not best or more convenient for me
Why do they have to venture out if their is condensation in the hive?

When I mentioned corn syrup, I did say 'apparently'. I read it somewhere on the internet and as has been said that could have been a US recipe.

Anyway, it's all moot as my bees aren't taking any fondant at the moment either so I can't try out granulated sugar.

The best food for bees is of course honey. When talking granulated honey or fondant, always is fondant better to bees cause it is partly inverted and easier for bees to use. For granulated sugar is needed more energy for inverting, but not only energy, more enzymes to use - bees are more exhausted, which is most delicate in winter, it shorten the life of bee more.. So when we make and use fondants is not cause we like to work extra for no reason.. But if someone wants to use granulated sugar - OK, but I will not use it.

Back