Sloped topbar hive.

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

roe1uk

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
None
Hi All , My name is martin ,i am from cambridge and trying to get starte in bee keeping.

my question is has anyone tried or built one of the sloped top bar hive?

Link removed as not working ADMIN.

thanks

Sorry nothing but two rev counters dont think the bees will like that

Hi All , My name is martin ,i am from cambridge and trying to get starte in bee keeping.

Hello Martin, yes I have built quite a few. What are your specific questions? Bye the way, your link doesn't work!

FYI:

Link does work, click on free user, wait for count down timer to finish (this is done to annoy "free" users and not registered users) once done, click download.

I have downloaded it, but it asks for a password when you try to open it...

Don't tell me, you buy organic food, and then sprinkle it with chemicals....... :biggrinjester:
Why is there nearly always the "lets reinvent the wheel" thing about newbies.... I use top bar and Warre hives, and haven't come across this design before - why not build a conventional top bar hive (which ARE a doddle to build), forget ALL about frames (which rather negates a lot of what top bar hives are about), and keep some bees for a season or two, THEN try doing it differently........?

yep

is called

Sodium Chloride

Last edited:
sorry for the bad link,try this one
http://sketchup.google.com/3dwarehouse/details?mid=ac43820a132648356bfb9e1d7a71cd77

What i wanted to know is are they quiet simple to build and could it be adapted to take frames?
thanks
roe

No and why?

keep it simple, at least until you can call yourself a beekeeper

So either build a simple top bar frameless hive as Bros suggests or one of the standard frame hive(national or langstroth) See fragile planet website for cheep ply hives or look on this web site under hive plans..i built my first hive from recovered 3/4 inch floor boards

What would be the advantages of having the TBH sloped?

What would be the advantages of having the TBH sloped?

When bees are building comb in festoons, they naturally form catenary curves. This curve is almost represented in a Kenyan section therefore the shape of the comb is similar to what they build in nature. The bees build down from the top bars until their backs touch something and they then leave that bee space. This helps with preventing comb attachments to side walls. My experience is that you still get some comb attachment but it is easily dealt with.

Norm, have another look at the sketchup drawing...........
I cant for the life of me see how the "cascade" of top bars could be helpful in any way whatsoever- if anything they'd stop them being used as a heat container during winter (in a conventional top bar hive, the top bars make a single "plank" retaining heat and essential nest atmosphere, with the cascade design the bees would have a helluva lot of "bridging" to do........), make for a most peculiarly shaped brood nest, and make natural ventilation by fanning an utter nightmare for the bees........
I'd be interested to know if the design is "dreamware" or whether it's actually been built/used (I somehow doubt it!)

Norm, have another look at the sketchup drawing...........

Oh! I see now. Not a standard Kenyan then!!!!!!

Kenyans are about simplicity which this is certainly not.

They say every beekeeper has to invent a beehive at some stage of their lives. Most are forgotten within a short space of time. I wonder wether this one will be remembered.:biggrinjester:

How to Build a Top Bar Hive

Link removed as not working ADMIN.

thanks

Hope this will help you out.
http://www.biobees.com/images/build_top_bar_hive/index.php?start=10

This Link is from YouTube.
Dave's Bees - How To Build A KTBH - Part 1 - Top Bars
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dwxUB0de9SE&playnext_from=TL&videos=cDfiEepIdvI

Take Care:
BillyH
Carson, MS USA

BillyH,

Hi, and welcome to the forum.

I think the poster was referring to:the sloped top bar hive? not the usual run-of-the-mill TBH.

Tbh info is common in the UK, even if the format is not so popular. More getting around all the time. They seem to last longer than they take to build. Work OK,too, if that is what floats your boat.

Regards, RAB

BillyH,

Hi, and welcome to the forum.

I think the poster was referring to:the sloped top bar hive? not the usual run-of-the-mill TBH.

Tbh info is common in the UK, even if the format is not so popular. More getting around all the time. They seem to last longer than they take to build. Work OK,too, if that is what floats your boat.

Regards, RAB

Thank you very much for the welcome to the forum. :patriot:
The other Bee Forum that I am on is http://www.beesource.com/forums/index.php Have a good day....

Latest posts

Back