Slightly confused!!!

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Michaelf

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
Other
Good Evening,
When the frames in the supers are ready to have the honey extracted do you just remove them frames and put in new fresh frames or put the old ones back???

Michael bee-smillie

put the extrated frames back on the hive for the bees to fill/clean.

Hi Mike

Welcome to the forum.

Good question. I presume you have capped frames to extract, and I can understand your urgency to extract as I presume you are a newbeek !?

IF there is definitely no Oilseed Rape around, then the best thing to do is leave the frames until the super is full, the old way was to harvest once a year...late August/Sept. However OSR needs extracting very quickly as soon as the flowers start to go over.

One can take the full frames out of the super, leaving the others to be filled (move them to the centre) or if the super is full, remove using a bee escape and replace with a fresh super (for perching space for the bees !!) OR, if you are prepared, remove, extract and replace the wet combs the very next day !

Either way, ensure you replace the super 'space' this time of year as the colony will need the space for all those bees !

regards

s

Latest posts

Back