Slightly brown foundation

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Lesson learnt here. I've just opened packs of foundation (super and brood) I bought last winter and it's all slightly brown. I probably would have rejected it if I'd have actually looked at it at the time. I have enough foundation in theory not to need to buy any more this winter but if the bees don't like it I might be in trouble in the summer. What are people's experiences with slightly brown foundation?

Lesson learnt here. I've just opened packs of foundation (super and brood) I bought last winter and it's all slightly brown. I probably would have rejected it if I'd have actually looked at it at the time. I have enough foundation in theory not to need to buy any more this winter but if the bees don't like it I might be in trouble in the summer. What are people's experiences with slightly brown foundation?
I fail to see what the issue is. I assume it Thorne's foundation? they use a lot of wax exchange stuff in their foundation and their processing method means that it keeps it's colour so there's bound to be a some dark stuff.

Hi Levitt,
Sounds like the stuff I've seen and walked past at conventions. I have a pack that I picked up with some second hand stuff about fifteen years ago and it's still in the box. Never gets used, labelled 'premium'.

Thanks all - yes I can see where it has come from through the wax exchange. But I wondered if anyone has any experience of whether the bees will or will not accept it.

Thanks all - yes I can see where it has come from through the wax exchange. But I wondered if anyone has any experience of whether the bees will or will not accept it.
they will, it's still wax, and I've used it in the past with no issues.

58 years experience. They accept all foundations what you put into hive.

43 years for me and agree 100% with Finman. Just use it and don’t get hung up about it. Also don’t just not buy it because it’s a little darker in colour.

58 years experience. They accept all foundations what you put into hive.

43 years for me and agree 100% with Finman. Just use it and don’t get hung up about it. Also don’t just not buy it because it’s a little darker in colour.
yes - but it's very fashionable in this country for bees to turn their noses up at foundation if they don't like the look of the packet it comes in.

yes - but it's very fashionable in this country for bees to turn their noses up at foundation if they don't like the look of the packet it comes in.

Not had a problem with bees drawing very old foundation in some new unused (but assembled years ago) equipment I purchased from a bee farmer. I do have a problem with wired foundation though. If the wires are slightly proud of the foundation the bees tend to have a good old nibble and remove the wax from the the wires.

I've had this with fresh foundation from different suppliers so don't think it's a labelling issue.

I saw a you tube vid (cannot remember what channel), it was a guy that made his own foundation

He claimed that bees prefer darker wax for foundation, and said clean cappings is the worst wax for making foundation.

He said old brood frames make the best foundation and slated "store bought" foundation for being too clean.

Personally - I have no idea if this is true or not.

I saw a you tube vid (cannot remember what channel), it was a guy that made his own foundation

He claimed that bees prefer darker wax for foundation, and said clean cappings is the worst wax for making foundation.

He said old brood frames make the best foundation and slated "store bought" foundation for being too clean.

Personally - I have no idea if this is true or not.
I don't think he had much of a clue either

At least I cannot select, what is best wax. I use all what I have, and what foundation maker offers.

And like I said, bees draw all foundations, when they need combs. It has no meaning, does they draw fast or slow.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back