Skip diving 2024

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Anyway about the groovy nut cracker?
It's a DOOR KNOCKER ... there are four countersunk holes for screws to hold it in place on the door ... I suspect it was fitted to a big old heavily studded oak door on a pub or some other large building, The grooved add to the acoustics ... You would need nuts the size of apples for it to be a nutcracker !

It's a DOOR KNOCKER ... there are four countersunk holes for screws to hold it in place on the door ... I suspect it was fitted to a big old heavily studded oak door on a pub or some other large building, The grooved add to the acoustics ... You would need nuts the size of apples for it to be a nutcracker !
In my defence I didn’t know it was 10 inches long.

The more important question is why it is on the bed?

There you go - Curly found himself £55's worth of door knocker!
https://www.bruceofballater.co.uk/our-products/miscellaneous/antique-cast-iron-door-knocker

It's a feature of some Victorian Knockers ... gives a three tone bang.
It's the sort of thing I have been getting out of the stream that borders my garden for at least the last 14 years 'cos lazy bxxxxtds can't be bothered to dispose of things properly. Just one lot on one day of scavenging other peoples rubbish that I took to the tip 6 miles away. 😩😩😩

Attachments

• DSC00769.JPG
    DSC00769.JPG
    319.4 KB · Views: 30
It's the sort of thing I have been getting out of the stream that borders my garden for at least the last 14 years 'cos lazy bxxxxtds can't be bothered to dispose of things properly. Just one lot on one day of scavenging other peoples rubbish that I took to the tip 6 miles away. 😩😩😩
Unbelievable ... well, no, it's not ... Someone dumped a fridge on the grass verge at the side of the main road just the other side of my fence. The recycling centre is only a mile away and they must have had a vehicle to get it to where it was dumped ... why they could not have taken it there is beyond me ?

But .. the council charge £30 to come and collect fridges and freezers and if you try and take rubble to the recyling centre now they want £12.50 per bag to dump it - so, in some respects, I can understand why some things happen but I really can't condone it.

The recycling centre is only a mile away and they must have had a vehicle to get it
around here people drive right past the 'civic amenity site' and carry on going for a few miles to dump their crap on the mountain.

Almost enough there to build a humpy.

I don't know it has three sets of groves maybe for bending pipe?
And it looks like it was attached to something flat maybe a bench?
Alice Roberts?
It's quite ornate. It looks like it may have been for stripping bark from branches? I'm thinking spindles or pegs.

It's quite ornate. It looks like it may have been for stripping bark from branches? I'm thinking spindles or pegs.
Professor Alice Roberts.....archaeologist and tv history presenter

Latest posts

Back