Super Moderator
Staff member
BeeKeeping Supporter
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
Anyway about the groovy nut cracker?
It's a DOOR KNOCKER ... there are four countersunk holes for screws to hold it in place on the door ... I suspect it was fitted to a big old heavily studded oak door on a pub or some other large building, The grooved add to the acoustics ... You would need nuts the size of apples for it to be a nutcracker !

Erichalfbee 

Super Moderator
Staff member
BeeKeeping Supporter
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
It's a DOOR KNOCKER ... there are four countersunk holes for screws to hold it in place on the door ... I suspect it was fitted to a big old heavily studded oak door on a pub or some other large building, The grooved add to the acoustics ... You would need nuts the size of apples for it to be a nutcracker !
In my defence I didn’t know it was 10 inches long.

Bettenham 

New Bee
BeeKeeping Supporter
Reaction score
Hive Type
tbh
Number of Hives
There you go - Curly found himself £55's worth of door knocker!

pargyle 

Super Moderator
Staff member
BeeKeeping Supporter
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
There you go - Curly found himself £55's worth of door knocker!
See ... told you all ... That's a really good spot ... I couldn't find one in google - but our cottage, when we first married, was a school house and it had a very similar knocker on the door ~ which was why I knew it was a knocker - Nice little earner for Curly - stick it on ebay someone will buy it.

Arfermo 

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
national
Number of Hives
Enough
It's a feature of some Victorian Knockers ... gives a three tone bang.
It's the sort of thing I have been getting out of the stream that borders my garden for at least the last 14 years 'cos lazy bxxxxtds can't be bothered to dispose of things properly. Just one lot on one day of scavenging other peoples rubbish that I took to the tip 6 miles away. 😩😩😩

Attachments

pargyle 

Super Moderator
Staff member
BeeKeeping Supporter
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
It's the sort of thing I have been getting out of the stream that borders my garden for at least the last 14 years 'cos lazy bxxxxtds can't be bothered to dispose of things properly. Just one lot on one day of scavenging other peoples rubbish that I took to the tip 6 miles away. 😩😩😩
Unbelievable ... well, no, it's not ... Someone dumped a fridge on the grass verge at the side of the main road just the other side of my fence. The recycling centre is only a mile away and they must have had a vehicle to get it to where it was dumped ... why they could not have taken it there is beyond me ?

But .. the council charge £30 to come and collect fridges and freezers and if you try and take rubble to the recyling centre now they want £12.50 per bag to dump it - so, in some respects, I can understand why some things happen but I really can't condone it.

jenkinsbrynmair 

International Beekeeper of Mystery
BeeKeeping Supporter
Reaction score
Hive Type
national
Number of Hives
Too many - but not nearly enough
The recycling centre is only a mile away and they must have had a vehicle to get it
around here people drive right past the 'civic amenity site' and carry on going for a few miles to dump their crap on the mountain.

Antipodes 

Drone Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
langstroth
Almost enough there to build a humpy.

Swn58 

Field Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
national
Number of Hives
Less than 1.....more than 20!
I don't know it has three sets of groves maybe for bending pipe?
And it looks like it was attached to something flat maybe a bench?
Alice Roberts?
It's quite ornate. It looks like it may have been for stripping bark from branches? I'm thinking spindles or pegs.

Swn58 

Field Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
national
Number of Hives
Less than 1.....more than 20!
It's quite ornate. It looks like it may have been for stripping bark from branches? I'm thinking spindles or pegs.
Professor Alice Roberts.....archaeologist and tv history presenter

pargyle 

Super Moderator
Staff member
BeeKeeping Supporter
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives

jenkinsbrynmair 

International Beekeeper of Mystery
BeeKeeping Supporter