Single Q cell

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

darrenperrett

Field Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
I checked through my hives yesterday and saw my marked Q on frame three. Right on the bottom of the next frame i had a single Q cell almost sealed.

I artificially swarmed them but wonder now whether i should have broken it down and left them for a bit. Do they produce supercedure cells on the bottom bars usually or do you get a single swarm cell ?

The original Q is laying like a trooper. She`s had a bailey change to 14x12 this spring and has 2 supers on and i`ve pinched a couple of frames of brood to strengthen my nucs.

Darren.

Well, it's better than finding she has gone at your next visit!

Do they produce supercedure cells on the bottom bars usually or do you get a single swarm cell ?

Not usually! But they are bees!

Given enough space, healthy queen, not a 'previously swarmed' queen,etc. I would likely have removed the one cell. It might depend on what queens were available, whether you want more of her 'ilk', etc. With half a dozen colonies you have plenty of options.

Regards, RAB

Thanks Rab.

It just threw me a bit. I was expecting to find a few more cells on the following frames, but nothing. I couldn`t remember seeing or reading anything anywhere about a single cell so I A/S`ed just to be on the safe side.
Just goes to show you can`t beat a bit of experience. I must have read 30 bee books over the winter and haven`t seen a single swarm cell mentioned once.

Darren.

If there was just the single cell, I think I would have broken it down if I couldn't see inside it, to see whether there was a larva in it. If so, then obviously they're up to something. Then check in 5 days and see how many more queen cells they will have raised.......but that's easy to say in an armchair....it's another when it's you having to make the decision right there and then!!!

If there was just the single cell, I think I would have broken it down if I couldn't see inside it, to see whether there was a larva in it. If so, then obviously they're up to something. Then check in 5 days and see how many more queen cells they will have raised.......but that's easy to say in an armchair....it's another when it's you having to make the decision right there and then!!!

Now i`ve had time to think about it I probably should have broken it down, It`s just the solitary cell through me a bit.
I couldn`t quite see in it but there were bee`s sticking to it (protecting it?) so i presume it was a good cell.
Either way, I`ll know soon enough.

Darren.

Back