Single box system using supers

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
On one of my walks with my dog in Hertfordshire, i came accross a group of Hives that were run on only supers as a single box system

i thought it strange and thought that a double super with small frames as brood box would be a pain ( saw two supers under QE)

But this week, i actual met the Beek as i walked with my dog

He uses two supers as a 14x12 brood with a bit of the 14x12mm frame sticking into floor space ( looked like about 5mm)

i have used supers as an emergency hive but never thought of riunning all supers

We ran a BS brood and super with 14x12s in it for a while. We didn't encounter any problems, but then we don't move the hives around much.

Perfectly OK in most circumstances. Only a bear if you want to separate the box and the floor. You need to be fairly precise when putting it down on another floor, or standing it on the upturned roof - and a full 14 x 12 is heavy! A small eke is a simple fix.

Regards, RAB

supers only hive.

On one of my walks with my dog in Hertfordshire, i came accross a group of Hives that were run on only supers as a single box system

i thought it strange and thought that a double super with small frames as brood box would be a pain ( saw two supers under QE)

But this week, i actual met the Beek as i walked with my dog

He uses two supers as a 14x12 brood with a bit of the 14x12mm frame sticking into floor space ( looked like about 5mm)

i have used supers as an emergency hive but never thought of riunning all supers

there was a beekeeper in Dartford, Kent,who only used Smith supers throughout. They were 5 or 6 high and the queen excluder was moved up and down the stack according to the brood nest size. Thats all I can remember, but someone from the Dartford branch of the KBKA may know more.

Back