Simple Question I'm sure, but...

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CeeJay

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
Langstroth
Number of Hives
Please forgive the ignorance of this question, (and I swear I've attempted a google but apparently am using the wrong words)....

I have seen on documentaries, filmed in Europe it seems, hives in which the side seems to open up, and the beek can sit down and check frames by pulling them out, as oppose to lifting them. Is this a "national" hive? (The plans I've seen seem to indicate not, but maybe I'm reading them wrong) I love to try/build one, as in principle it seems smarter.

My back just cant take all that stooping, and my kids are complaining louder every year about having to help.

Thank you.

Last edited:
No, not a National.

With a "top bar hive" (specifically what is known in the UK as a 'Kenyan top bar hive'), there is no need to lift whole boxes (apart from when relocating the hive), just one (frameless) 'frame' at a time. The combs lift out (don't slide), but some folk manage those hives from wheelchairs. Check them out!

Please forgive the ignorance of this question, (and I swear I've attempted a google but apparently am using the wrong words)....

I have seen on documentaries, filmed in Europe it seems, hives in which the side seems to open up, and the beek can sit down and check frames by pulling them out, as oppose to lifting them. Is this a "national" hive? (The plans I've seen seem to indicate not, but maybe I'm reading them wrong) I love to try/build one, as in principle it seems smarter.

My back just cant take all that stooping, and my kids are complaining louder every year about having to help.

Thank you.

I think ive seen that documentary, im pretty sure it was filmed in Germany where he goes in to his honey house and there are multiple hives built in to the front of the wall facing outwards and he pulls them back and opens them from the side?

I think thats the one anyway!

I have it on my external HDD somewhere, i can try to find it for you if you want to have another look?

if it is the one, i have to admit i dont know what type of hive he is using :(

i just had a quick look at it there CeeJay, the frames dont come out of the side, but from the back of the hive and he does pull them not, he doesn't lift them out at all.

Interesting, i must try and find out what type of hive they are now. thanks very much! hahaha

Took some screen shots of them..

photo1.jpg

photo2.jpg

photo3.jpg

Id say my self they are made for these beekeepers and are possibly not available commercially, but i could be wrong.

Last edited:
YES - those are the ones! Thanks for the look!

I figure there must be some major drawback, or we'd all be using them.

I had been thinking like Oliver90 said, cabinet runners, but wouldn't they just prop the hell out of them? (I was hoping maybe all you guys were using them over there and I could get in on it, but apparently not.) I'm going to try and rig something up, but I was hoping to get plans or some advance advice about them.

Redwood - thanks for the link, interesting and may try something like that, too

Before embarking upon any new project, I find it's often fruitiful to do a patent search first - but although some can be very good, some are simply plain barmy.

In this case US patent 3105977 (1962) covers a sliding-drawer brood chamber - at first sight it looks good - and you may find there's some useful ideas there.

I find it's often fruitiful to do a patent search first

Dead on, man!! Good idea - that's perfect

Thanks!

Just a heads up on the drawer type of German/Swiss hives which are situated in Bee Houses....

I visited a Swiss German Beekeeper, and he met me in full national costume with lederhosen .... I can now tell you where the thigh slapping dance comes from as he lost control of the hive.....

PH

This is one but I don't know anyone here that uses them
http://www.drawhive.co.uk/
Interesting idea, at least it looks like one design that has been tried in practice. Might be a principle that would be useful for teaching or exhibition if the disturbance is minimal. According to the website they are no longer being produced but plans are available.

Just a heads up on the drawer type of German/Swiss hives which are situated in Bee Houses....

I visited a Swiss German Beekeeper, and he met me in full national costume with lederhosen .... I can now tell you where the thigh slapping dance comes from as he lost control of the hive.....

PH

:rofl::rofl:

PH

Priceless lol

Interesting idea, at least it looks like one design that has been tried in practice. Might be a principle that would be useful for teaching or exhibition if the disturbance is minimal. According to the website they are no longer being produced but plans are available.
Don't think I will be using this design as I can see a lot of down falls with it one being too many squashed bees, stick to what works best

Latest posts

Back