Simon the Beekeeper Nationals

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gwt_uk

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Hello all,

Just wondering if anyone had bought a National hive from Simon the Beekeeper? I can’t quite understand the varroa inspection board set up. It appears to be a Perspex sheet which sits above the varroa mesh? The entrance block then sits on top of that.

I may be misinterpreting the pics but thought the point of a varroa floor was to let the debris/mites etc to fall through?

Hello all,

Just wondering if anyone had bought a National hive from Simon the Beekeeper? I can’t quite understand the varroa inspection board set up. It appears to be a Perspex sheet which sits above the varroa mesh? The entrance block then sits on top of that.

I may be misinterpreting the pics but thought the point of a varroa floor was to let the debris/mites etc to fall through?

Yes, you are misinterpreting. Link please.

What makes you think that is the design?

Pic attached

Attachments

• 07A1E0DC-2982-418E-83C7-4A4FA2F9817E.png
    07A1E0DC-2982-418E-83C7-4A4FA2F9817E.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 104
Yes, you are misinterpreting. Link please.

What makes you think that is the design?
It does look like that there is a perspex board above the mesh floor ... it also looks to me as though they have photgoraphed it upside down ...

SNAP !!

It does look like that there is a perspex board above the mesh floor ... it also looks to me as though they have photgoraphed it upside down ...

SNAP !!
Yes I thought that have attached another pic

SNAP !!
another one of the assembled hive
It's upside down in the pic.
good hives for the price?

Attachments

• 964CE9EA-C9D5-4737-8A98-8C05310FE980.png
    964CE9EA-C9D5-4737-8A98-8C05310FE980.png
    955.7 KB · Views: 58
  • 8D1BA98E-BF84-4104-83B8-96045AE68FAF.png
    8D1BA98E-BF84-4104-83B8-96045AE68FAF.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 57

SNAP !!
Just got an email back from the team at Simon the beekeeper and they have confirmed that the inspection board does sit on top of the varroa floor and the entrance block sits on top of the wooden drawer handle??!

Just got an email back from the team at Simon the beekeeper and they have confirmed that the inspection board does sit on top of the varroa floor and the entrance block sits on top of the wooden drawer handle??!
Well that is a bit unusual ...so ... without the inspection board in (as you would normally be - its only there for inspections) you are going to have a very large entrance ? Doesn't make any sense ...

On all my varroa floors (and I only have a few) the poly/perspex slide sits below the mesh screen. The screen is fixed in place permanently. The slide should be removed/installed from the rear of the hive and not the front as shown in the pic. IMHO.
Check out this LINK for a pic which shows the correct setup.

Well that is a bit unusual ...so ... without the inspection board in (as you would normally be - its only there for inspections) you are going to have a very large entrance ? Doesn't make any sense ...
No it doesn’t make much sense does. Large entrance and basically a solid floor?!

On all my varroa floors (and I only have a few) the poly/perspex slide sits below the mesh screen. The screen is fixed in place permanently. The slide should be removed/installed from the rear of the hive and not the front as shown in the pic. IMHO.
Check out this LINK for a pic which shows the correct setup.
Yes that look correct

I got a floor from simon. The perspex is the varroa floor a d slides 9n and out but with no handle. I think its fine.

I got a floor from simon. The perspex is the varroa floor a d slides 9n and out but with no handle. I think its fine.
Yes they are a relatively tight fit and a bugger to get out, petroleum jelly or actually silicon grease to the rescue in my case. I keep mine in and shut 99% of the time, its windy here and not often warmer than 25 on a great day. I stuck a plastic capped cork to the tray to create a handle (glued plastic to plastic) works well enough as something to get hold of.

Latest posts

Back