Help Support Beekeeping Forum:

gwt_uk 

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
national
Number of Hives
Hello all,

Just wondering if anyone had bought a National hive from Simon the Beekeeper? I can’t quite understand the varroa inspection board set up. It appears to be a Perspex sheet which sits above the varroa mesh? The entrance block then sits on top of that.

I may be misinterpreting the pics but thought the point of a varroa floor was to let the debris/mites etc to fall through?

Boston Bees 

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
national
Number of Hives
10-20
Hello all,

Just wondering if anyone had bought a National hive from Simon the Beekeeper? I can’t quite understand the varroa inspection board set up. It appears to be a Perspex sheet which sits above the varroa mesh? The entrance block then sits on top of that.

I may be misinterpreting the pics but thought the point of a varroa floor was to let the debris/mites etc to fall through?
Yes, you are misinterpreting. Link please.

What makes you think that is the design?

pargyle 

Queen Bee
BeeKeeping Supporter
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
Yes, you are misinterpreting. Link please.

What makes you think that is the design?
It does look like that there is a perspex board above the mesh floor ... it also looks to me as though they have photgoraphed it upside down ...

SNAP !!

gwt_uk 

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
national
Number of Hives
It does look like that there is a perspex board above the mesh floor ... it also looks to me as though they have photgoraphed it upside down ...

SNAP !!
Yes I thought that have attached another pic

SNAP !!
another one of the assembled hive
It's upside down in the pic.
good hives for the price?

Attachments

gwt_uk 

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
national
Number of Hives

SNAP !!
Just got an email back from the team at Simon the beekeeper and they have confirmed that the inspection board does sit on top of the varroa floor and the entrance block sits on top of the wooden drawer handle??!

pargyle 

Queen Bee
BeeKeeping Supporter
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
Just got an email back from the team at Simon the beekeeper and they have confirmed that the inspection board does sit on top of the varroa floor and the entrance block sits on top of the wooden drawer handle??!
Well that is a bit unusual ...so ... without the inspection board in (as you would normally be - its only there for inspections) you are going to have a very large entrance ? Doesn't make any sense ...

Rockingod 

New Bee
BeeKeeping Supporter
Reaction score
Hive Type
national
Number of Hives
150 +
On all my varroa floors (and I only have a few) the poly/perspex slide sits below the mesh screen. The screen is fixed in place permanently. The slide should be removed/installed from the rear of the hive and not the front as shown in the pic. IMHO.
Check out this LINK for a pic which shows the correct setup.

gwt_uk 

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
national
Number of Hives
Well that is a bit unusual ...so ... without the inspection board in (as you would normally be - its only there for inspections) you are going to have a very large entrance ? Doesn't make any sense ...
No it doesn’t make much sense does. Large entrance and basically a solid floor?!

gwt_uk 

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
national
Number of Hives
On all my varroa floors (and I only have a few) the poly/perspex slide sits below the mesh screen. The screen is fixed in place permanently. The slide should be removed/installed from the rear of the hive and not the front as shown in the pic. IMHO.
Check out this LINK for a pic which shows the correct setup.
Yes that look correct

Latest posts