Simon Snorkel?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

iball

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Does anyone have a Simon Snorkel or similar high access ladder.

There's a small swarm about 50yds away from me, unfortunately they're 30 foot up right in the uppermost brances of a tree, they could be my father's but there are still a lot of flying bees at his entrance bringing supplies in so perhaps not.

Anyway I've put a couple of nuc/transit boxes out with some frames of foundation and large scraps of brace comb, I don't have any drawn frames, I baited the boxes with some lemongrass oil.

Fingers crossed.

Ian

Yes but before I can get that I need a long weight?

I think you'll find a hamafer works better in assembling the skyhook.

Well with none of the above they're still up in the tree, just chillin in the breeze.

Will they? Won't they?

It's exciting stuff this beekeeping malarkey, I think I need a lie down!!

Ian

Come on man use your initiative!

ladders_week.jpg

Yes, but the elfs would have something to say about it.

Lateral thinking needed... try a helicopter.

Sorry, that's vertical thinking..

I'll get my parachute..

Update

Horrendous rain on over Monday night and the swarm disappeared, nothing in the bait boxes on Tuesday.

My father called me over a couple of hours ago lots of activity in front of his hive with bees fighting, about a dozen dead bees in front of entrance. I leaned a board in front of the entrance. (Will a swarm try to populate a poulated hive?)

However what he hadn't noticed was a clump of bees about 10 feet away with a queen in the middle. I got the nuc box, caught the queen and popped her on a frame of drawn comb, with a foundation frame either side. Only a few hundred bees but they may attract others.

No idea where she has come from but we're going to wait for a couple of hours to see what happens and also look into his hive to see what we can see.

I'll make a decision as to what to do later, if she is from Monday's swarm then they'll get a little feed.

(Note to self: Weatherproof all boxes and nucs when you get them, not when you need them!!!)

Ian

Kieth,
Send me a copy of my signed order on my headed paper and I'll sort it out.

Alternatively a couple of thingies and an oojamaflip will suffice.:biggrinjester:

Ian

Latest posts

Back