• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Beekeeping Forum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

Silverwing Apiaries sale

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I understand that this seller was suffering from a serious illness and has now died.

Here's to his memory.

Hi Wojciech,

any news on the name of the chap who's died? Going to leave a hell of a honey gap round here.

Baggy

On e-bay you buy a product you haven't seen from someone you have never met. That's fine if you have a genuine seller but how can you ever be 100% certain?
For that reason I only spend on e-bay money I am prepared to loose and more importantly that I can afford to write off if it all goes pear shaped.
(Forget the e-bay and Paypal fraud guarantee's, I have been there and seen that. It's not worth the imaginary paper its written on.)

On e-bay you buy a product you haven't seen from someone you have never met.

Buy quite a lot of things on the internet,and e bay,would be a full time job travelling all over the world to see the product, and meet the people before you ever buy anything.

John Benson

Hi Wojciech,

any news on the name of the chap who's died? Going to leave a hell of a honey gap round here.

Baggy

Hello Chris,

I understand that the stock belonged to John Benson, until about a year ago chair of Boston BKA. I suspect that the branch was closed down due to his illness ( yes I know that it has been subsequently revived - good luck to its new sec/chair etc). A neighbour of mine is the local vet in Orby and he was given a hive and a captured swarm by John last summer and more recently some more Nationals. John had a large out apiary outside Orby and I suspect that the photo in the Ebay ad was of that site.

I saw the neighbour in question yesterday when we went to the YBKA conference in Beverley and he told me that John had died last week. I did'nt know him personally but have heard him mentioned and it's sad to see an old-timer go.

If I had been aware of the sale earlier I would have been happy to buy some Langstroths at that price as I'm thiniing about changing to them from Nationals.

I see your point Pete, and I bought a hive from you having seen it on e-bay. That said before I bought I did lots of research to make sure you were genuine. Fortunately the feedback you had on this forum was a good point of reference !

On e-bay you buy a product you haven't seen from someone you have never met. That's fine if you have a genuine seller but how can you ever be 100% certain?
For that reason I only spend on e-bay money I am prepared to loose and more importantly that I can afford to write off if it all goes pear shaped.
(Forget the e-bay and Paypal fraud guarantee's, I have been there and seen that. It's not worth the imaginary paper its written on.)

Its sort of how the internet works, I get most things this way, have spent thousands over the years with people and never met them nor see the need to, have also sold many things to people and never met them.
I am sorry if you had a bad experience it can happen even if you meet the seller.

Hello Chris,

I understand that the stock belonged to John Benson, until about a year ago chair of Boston BKA. I suspect that the branch was closed down due to his illness ( yes I know that it has been subsequently revived - good luck to its new sec/chair etc). A neighbour of mine is the local vet in Orby and he was given a hive and a captured swarm by John last summer and more recently some more Nationals. John had a large out apiary outside Orby and I suspect that the photo in the Ebay ad was of that site.

I saw the neighbour in question yesterday when we went to the YBKA conference in Beverley and he told me that John had died last week. I did'nt know him personally but have heard him mentioned and it's sad to see an old-timer go.

If I had been aware of the sale earlier I would have been happy to buy some Langstroths at that price as I'm thiniing about changing to them from Nationals.

Sounds like something real nasty. Shame. Lot of equipment and I must have been one of the last people that rung up about it.

Latest posts

Back