Sieve stand

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 3509

House Bee
Reaction score
Can anyone recommend a sieve stand which will hold the straining sieve above the honey bucket while extracting so that it doesn’t dip into the honey as it fills?

I made my own from PAR Meranti wood (though any smooth wood can be used) to suit my 30lb round buckets, using 55mm x 15mm for the frame, 35mm x 35mm for four legs and eight screws. No glue or complicated joints needed and a coat of varnish to seal for easy wipe surface. Simply screw the four pieces to the four legs at the corners.
When done I undo four screw a 1/4 - 1/2 turn and the stand sits flat for easy storage.

4 legs 38cm long.
4 fames sides 32cm long.
8 x 40mm screws.
Pre drill the holes and countersink them.

I find it easier to put a strainer on top of a settling tank. I transfer by bucket from the extractor to the strainer and 12-24 hours later transfer to a 30lb bucket from the tank.

I fine filter using a conical nylon strainer before jarring
5c165a1497cacb837e2cf0fbf491d346.jpg

Carl Fritz also do some elegant double honey tap tank strainers. Too complex to link to by phone :(

fine filter using a conical nylon strainer before jarring
Gave that up after the first two years, for two reasons.

First, more work and cleaning; secondly, I want to be able to tell customers that the honey is strained rather than filtered. The former suggests (correctly) that less is removed, which is what our market seeks.

Filtering is useful when preparing honey for show.

Why not use the round pan shaped sieve with the pull out handles that rests on top of the bucket?

Can anyone recommend a sieve stand which will hold the straining sieve above the honey bucket while extracting so that it doesn’t dip into the honey as it fills?
Cut the top few inches off another bucket the same as the one you are straining into and glue a couple of lugs under the rim of the one you have cut up. That sits on top of and just inside the lower bucket and keeps the seive slightly above the surface on the honey as the bucket fills to the top, Simples ..

I'd do a photo but my kit is in the loft and I'm not getting it down yet but you get the idea ? I made one a couple of years ago and it works a treat.

I assume you have the traditional strainer like this one with the extending wire supports:

https://www.simonthebeekeeper.co.uk...less-steel-sliding-double-honey-strainer.html

Last edited:
Why not use the round pan shaped sieve with the pull out handles that rests on top of the bucket?
Easily done, but maybe Val means to use a conical filter, which will sit buried in a bucket.

straining sieve above the honey bucket
Which is it, Val: double coarse strainer or fine conical nylon filter?

The Abelo version is described confusingly as a strainer but the small print states that it's made with fine nylon mesh (and sounds like a filter to me).

Easily done, but maybe Val means to use a conical filter, which will sit buried in a bucket.

Which is it, Val: double coarse strainer or fine conical nylon filter?

The Abelo version is described confusingly as a strainer but the small print states that it's made with fine nylon mesh (and sounds like a filter to me).
It’s the double course strainer that we use.

We use one of these but it means that the bucket can’t be filled fully as the bottom of the sieve/strainer sits in the honey as it approaches the top of the bucket.

We use one of these but it means that the bucket can’t be filled fully as the bottom of the sieve/strainer sits in the honey as it approaches the top of the bucket.
The Swienty will do the job.

When you sit the legs on the bucket rim make sure the nuts are tightish so that it sits without leaning (l've never had a collapse).

Lay the tripod flat under the bucket, work it up to the rim, and raise from there.

I put two of the bars on the sieve over the edges of the bucket and a piece of wood with two screws in the end so it can't fall in the bucket under the third! But then I only use the double sieve and not one of the fine ones!

I've got chains on rim of conical filter cone -chains like you use for hanging basket -and put nail in beam in hitchen and filter into bucket below

Latest posts

Back