Shropshire??

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
5...2 wooden National, 2 poly Nat & 1 poly nuc...bursting at the seams
We're off to Shropshire next Saturday staying near the Acton Scott Estate (that's all I know)...

Any suggestions as to what to do (bee related for me, shops etc) not for the others, places to eat for fussy F-in-L? Three adults, no kids!

Many thanks!

I'm not a Salopian but in-laws nearby and been walking over the Long Mynd earlier this year.
Places to go: Berrys tea shop in Church Stretton, Stokesay Castle, Ludlow (+ Food Centre with a good cafe), Croft Ambrey (good NT cafe), try and spot hives moved to the heather on the Long Mynd, Harry Tuffins supermarket in Craven Arms (honest!, it's an experience). Tenbury Wells show is quite soon too.
Cornbrook Bee Farm is nearby but I don't think they are open to visitors.

Cornbrook Bee Farm is nearby but I don't think they are open to visitors.

Michael Collier runs two day instrumental insemination courses, but don't think you would be popular with the rest of the family,plus to short a notice i would think.

We're just over the border (like 30 seconds ;)), but don't tend to head that way much. Stokesay is good I hear, Church Stretton has the Land of Lost Content (Museum of Popular Culture)...quirky but olds love it. If you're shooting through Gloucestershire there's Maisemore's for all those bee things you need (and don't, at Maisemore) and Hartpury bee shelter sited beside the church at Hartpury (pretty unique and lovely long horn cattle in the field). Ludlow's a good place to visit but can be busy, markets, trad eateries, castle, poshish shops etc.

Jimmy's ideas OK but some mileage involved. Long Mynd is well worth a look whatever and as you come down go via Carding Mill Valley. Amazing views. Nearby Ludlow is world renowned for its market and for it's butchers (Top 3 in the UK)and restaurants. Shrewsbury itself is well worth a thorough look - beautiful old buildings, castle, oodles of small shops and cafes, snickets with odd names and guided walks, Severn Theatre - and a must is a look into the library which was Darwins (Origin of the species bloke) school. Go to the top floor and have a look at the boys common room and see the graffiti etched into the school benches by the little wotzits 200 years ago and the fabulous ceiling decor of another age. An absolutely gorgeous restoration. If/when you are in Shrewsbury itself and want elevensies or a midday snack, go to the Gallery Tearoom - extremely nice place with a large regular (geriatric?) clientele admiring the dishy girls who serve and very, very reasonably priced (cheap in my opinion) with a coffee top-up thrown in and the best scones in town (my honey on sale too!!). Ironbridge is near-ish with Telfords bridge and the best Indonesian restaurant in the area. Pity you didn't pick the following weekend and go to the Shrewsbury Flower show, masses of stuff to look at including bee stuff and wine. 80,000 visitors over the two days last year.
Otherwise, have a look on the Tourist Office website and if you are a NT member there is another load of things to look at.
Last, at Attingham Park (NT) there is a listed beehouse containing some skeps with bee occupants placed there by my local association. The NT peaple can be a bit difficult over it but persevere. Oh, and one more thing, don't tell too many people how nice it is around here as we try to keep it secret.
Any good?

Last edited:
Thanks all - looks like we'll have a full week - and if FiL doesn't like the Indonesian...we could go by ourselves...pity eh??

Thanks all - just back and had a great time. Cottage had fishing lake so hubby in second heaven.

Conversation with beek in a pay for entry attraction. 'Hello, are you the beekeeper? Yes, hello! We have bees too - can we go and look at the hives from a distance? Yeah - they're in a good mood today...Great thanks...what sort do you have? (meaning mongrel, carni etc). Looks at me as if I have sprouted 3 heads....HONEY BEES (he said very slowly, splitting the sylables)...who was more embarrassed...him or me??

Great pub...The Plough at Wall

what sort do you have? (meaning mongrel, carni etc). Looks at me as if I have sprouted 3 heads....HONEY BEES (said very slowly, splitting the sylables)...who was more embarrassed...him or me??

:laughing-smiley-014 Very funny! :rofl:

We're off to Shropshire next Saturday staying near the Acton Scott Estate (that's all I know)...

Any suggestions as to what to do (bee related for me, shops etc) not for the others, places to eat for fussy F-in-L? Three adults, no kids!

Many thanks!

So, having visited Shropshire, was my advisory post of any use? Hope so.

Latest posts

Back