Shrink wrap bands

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BeeKeyPlayer

From Rainham, Medway (North Kent) UK
BeeKeeping Supporter
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
24 plus 12 owned by others
Does anyone use shrink wrap bands for sealing their honey jars? From a search, the topic doesn't seem to have been discussed here since 2014. Biodegradable bands are now available, which require no heat or equipment to apply.

Does anyone use shrink wrap bands for sealing their honey jars? From a search, the topic doesn't seem to have been discussed here since 2014. Biodegradable bands are now available, which require no heat or equipment to apply.
That’s interesting. Can you give us a link?

Second one only says biodegradable.

Compostable- can be composted, usually refers to industrial grade composting though.

Home compostable- more likely to actually be compostable.

Biodegradable- just means it breaks down into smaller bits. Can still be plastic and release microplastics which persist.

Usually very little info is given on timescale for this too. There's a lot of sleight of hand.

Both those products are viscose/cellulose so plant derived although the process of taking plant fibres and making useable material is not particularly eco friendly.

Last edited:
Nice idea and at about 1p each not too expensive. I wonder how easy they are to apply?

They are applied wet....not much good for my honey labels.....shame
Why not apply the bands before your label? Or will they overlap? I was thinking they were applied to the side of the lid and neck of the jar?

You can get them any width of band you want. I assume these are like the bands you get on jam and mayo etc.
Thanks....I just watched the video. Doh!
Round the neck of the jar would be ideal. Label can go on afterwards. More food for thought

It's just that I think they look nicer than an anti tamper label
I'm not sure that I do ... there is something attractive about jars that look as though they have not been mass produced ....

I can see that jars sold in retail shops may be better served with a shrink wrap anti-tamper though rather than stick on one - they can be a bit easy to damage accidentally when picking a jar up.

I am producing more and more labels with the tamper attached, it saves so much time, with added bonus of a hand label machine. They really are a game changer.VB Soft Set.png

It's just that I think they look nicer than an anti tamper label
I think the opposite - anti tamper labels tend to set off the ensemble. A shrink wrap seal (whether biodegradable or not) makes it similar to a tesco bought item wrapped in plastic.

Latest posts

Back