Shredded plastic-backed corrugated cardboard packing - is it safe in the smoker?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Amari

Queen Bee
BeeKeeping Supporter
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
I've just unpacked three boxes of kit from T's and been left with a huge pile of packing. Shredded corrugated cardboard is good for lighting smokers but is it safe to use if plastic-backed? I don't want to fumigate the girls with dioxins etc.

Attachments

• IMG_0704.jpeg
    IMG_0704.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 27
Even the shredded stuff may be contaminated with plastics or glues, I recycle all of it but not in my smoker.

Agree, wouldnt use anything with plastic.
I have tried corrugated cardboard in the past -I discovered that some seems to be impregnated with fire retardant - I wondered why it kept going out :)
I now use old dried straw for around our strawberries to get it going then add a mixture of wood chippings (a huge bag for £5 from the local wood yard bought several years ago) and dried sphagnum moss raked up from the lawn. Works for me.

Last edited:
Egg boxes here as well. Lit with the smoker CLOSED (just pack it full and tight and use a blowtorch on the outside). Stays lit till nothing but ash inside.
Exactly as I do it.!

I only tried once the shredded cardboard that Thorns pack stuff in, it wouldn't burn and smoker kept going out, you have to check for plastic, its very contaminated, I just put in the recycling now.

Egg boxes, packing straw, dried lavender cuttings each year, dried light weight course bark from the redwood type all are free nearly. One has to pay for the eggs but saves throwing the box away. For the bark I visit the local nature park where they have many pine/spruce types.

I use toilet roll inners as main starter and fuel.... just shove as much grass in ontop and around... burns a nice white smoke for ages...
Take roll, pinch closedtoilrty roll inner.jpg and push in + repeat

Egg boxes here as well. Lit with the smoker CLOSED (just pack it full and tight and use a blowtorch on the outside). Stays lit till nothing but ash inside.
Exactly as I do it.!

Sorry, I must be very thick. The 'spout/lid' is closed, so no fuel showing? So where d'you aim the flame of the blowtorch?:unsure::blush5:

I've just unpacked three boxes of kit from T's and been left with a huge pile of packing. Shredded corrugated cardboard is good for lighting smokers but is it safe to use if plastic-backed? I don't want to fumigate the girls with dioxins etc.
I have used it but only after I hadsorted through it to remove the stuff with plastic on . A bit of a fad and A bit hit and miss the first time through the pile but I still had loads of visibly clean material. Left at the end bees didn’t seam to mind i It burnt well but quicker than I would have likedit produced v little ash.
I note another supplier sells roles of lightweight cardboard specifically cut for smokers.

wouldn't it be nice if all equipment suppliers simply packed there stuff with a bee friendly smoker fuel as a free I?

I was thinking the same thing, you beat me to it.
The flame heats the shell of the smoker which forms a red-hot patch thus ignites material in contact on the inside. I've seen it done but I personally light a few bits of torn up egg carton, drop them into the empty smoker, sprinkle some shavings on top and give a few puffs of air to ensure it's lit then fill up with shavings and dry rotten wood chips

Lots of comments from loo rolls to rolls of cardboard rolls sold by some who clearly don’t keep bees.

If it has glue of any type it will smoulder, an acrid smell try it up your own nose, if you don’t like it how do you think its going to make your bees feel, ratty, irritated darn right vicious even.

Egg boxes without labels, newspaper to get it started and for me its pellets a good reliable smoke and lasts. At the start of the season its water ! I just need to find a way of reselling it 😊

Sorry, I must be very thick. The 'spout/lid' is closed, so no fuel showing? So where d'you aim the flame of the blowtorch?:unsure::blush5:
As you don't want your smoker turning into a flame thrower, never give the fuel a direct flame.
Aim the flame at the side of the smoker and wait till smoke comes out the top of the smoker. One puff and you are ready to go. Takes seconds.
I can't claim it is the french way, but never seen anyone faff about in France like people seem to here.

Latest posts

Back