Showing honey (colours)

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chalkie

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
5+
Thinking of putting some honey into the show this year but unsure of the colour grading system.
Are there any picture on this site of the differant shades. mine looks light but could be classed as medium.:rolleyes:

Different -two es. Ask your division if you can borrow their glasses. They're glass filters for testing the shades.

Thinking of putting some honey into the show this year but unsure of the colour grading system.
Are there any picture on this site of the differant shades. mine looks light but could be classed as medium.:rolleyes:

Medium Honey is quite dark and dark honey is almost non transparent, i find most of my honey is "light"

Last edited:
I think most Association shows are happy to move your entry into the "correct" class when you turn up with it.

However, it gets much more serious at higher levels of competition, I believe.

I think most Association shows are happy to move your entry into the "correct" class when you turn up with it.

However, it gets much more serious at higher levels of competition, I believe.

yep, putting some Honey into the National Honey show (Middlesex bench) on Wednesday ,its in the warming cabinet now, and at the show wrong colour = Nil Points

Dont why Ibother though Harrow BKA always win

Last edited:
yep, putting some Honey into the National Honey show (Middlesex bench) on Wednesday ,its in the warming cabinet now, and at the show wrong colour = Nil Points

Yep, its total bollocks. If checking against the standard requires 280 quid outlay as seen on Ebay recently then it is a standard way beyond the reach of many.

It's time the 'standard' was abandoned, all judging should be on taste not on pointless visual things. Even better forget 'professional' subjective judging and honey shows and just let the customer decide.

Just hegde your bets and enter in the two classes - there should be stewards at the show with glasses to help you to decide which class.

P.S. just moved my precious honey glasses from the secret drawer in the desk to pride of place next to the Westley richards in the gunsafe - thinking of installing burglar alarms as well seing the prices they're making. Kicking myself now I didn't squander my sweetie money on a second set of grading glasses offered to me at a mere snip at £70.00

Last edited:
Stupid money for that set, i'm sure if somebody had a set they could probably get multiple copies done in a glass shop and be able to knock them out on ebay at a tenner a set all day long.

Never did put any in the show.

Stupid money for that set, i'm sure if somebody had a set they could probably get multiple copies done in a glass shop and be able to knock them out on ebay at a tenner a set all day long.

Never did put any in the show.

I agree the color range of glass is huge

No - they're the ones that were brought out after the glass ones were no longer produced - they're plastic and was told by a steward at the Royal welsh that they are not quite the same shade as the BBJ ones. Be interesting to see how much these go for

Latest posts

Back