Should the BBKA challenge the Government over the licenced monopoly of the supply and use of Oxalic Acid by beekeepers in the fight against Varroa?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Should the BBKA challenge the Government over the licenced monopoly of the supply and use of Oxalic

• YES

Votes: 96 96.0%
  • NO

Votes: 3 3.0%
  • I do not have any opinion and do not keep bees

Votes: 1 1.0%

• Total voters
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Miriads
Should the BBKA challenge the Government over the licenced monopoly of the supply and use of Oxalic Acid USED by beekeepers in the fight against Varroa?

Last edited:
Should the BBKA challenge the Government over the licenced monopoly of the supply and use of Oxalic Acid by beekeepers in the fight against Varroa?

meaning that the beekeepers use OA NOT the Beekeepers having the licenced monopoly to supply!!!!

add USED !

They should challenge a lot of issues but don't.
They are supposed to be the voice of British Beekeeping.

No they are not.

They are the voice (supposedly) of the English beekeepers.

They do not speak for anyone else. Despite their delusions of grandeur.

PH

Perhaps if that's how they are regarded elsewhere in the UK, the BBKA should now be encouraged to campaign for legal use in England only and allow the Welsh, Scottish and Irish associations to sort out their own legislation.

Should the BBKA challenge the Government over the licenced monopoly of the supply and use of Oxalic Acid USED by beekeepers in the fight against Varroa?

The third choice on here is not helpful, icanhopit. You would have been better putting:

–-no opinion

–-I do not keep bees

Having both may discourage both sides to make no response, because they are not represented by those who do not have an opinion AND do not keep bees.

The third choice on here is not helpful, icanhopit. You would have been better putting:

–-no opinion

–-I do not keep bees

Having both may discourage both sides to make no response, because they are not represented by those who do not have an opinion AND do not keep bees.

:iagree:
However I have yet to meet a beekeeperer who does not have an opinion!!!

If there are 1000 votes for yes... do the BBKA have to siscuss it... or should someone who knows how set up a 38 degree poll / government poll thingy???

Yeghes da

I looked at api ripoff at the tradex, 35g for a tenner. That's crazy it would cost me more money than 1kg of normal OA just to treat once and the sugar ruins the vapouriser.

No they are not.

They are the voice (supposedly) of the English beekeepers.

They do not speak for anyone else. Despite their delusions of grandeur.

PH

I dunno been up there 5 mins and sound like jimmy sturgeon already :).

I think they should and seeing as Simon has suggested we might be able to help him we should.
It's very early days, and I can make no promises, but we are looking into this to see if it might be feasible to approach the VMD with a proposal to make generic Oxalic acid an acceptable treatment for Varroa in Honeybee colonies.

I presume the makers of Apibioxal, having spent much money in the licensing process, might have something to say about it?

Yes probably they (BBKA) should. But more effective for everyone just to boycott the licenced product. Nothing has changed for anyone who only needs to treat the woodwork.

Last edited:
I'm not sure on what basis you would challenge this?

I presume the makers of Apibioxal, having spent much money in the licensing process, might have something to say about it?

Better check to see if apibioxial make donations" to the bbka?

I'll turn this slightly, should the Government pay for the treatment of Varroa, seeing the honey business is worth quite a bit to them.

They are not interested in the honey side but in the value of bees as pollinators to agriculture and fruit production

I'll turn this slightly, should the Government pay for the treatment of Varroa, seeing the honey business is worth quite a bit to them.

An interesting thought ... but what about all those who are either treatment free or simply don't bother, or do bother, but far, far too late in the season?

I can't see it ever happening, but if done properly I can imagine the benefits.

Latest posts

Back