Should it be so messy???

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aberreef

Field Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
5 hives + 3 nucs
I inspected my new colony today ( bought it 1.5 weeks ago). I bought it as a large nuc; they were in a national brood box on 8 frames.

The bees had built wild comb above the brood frames, tying them to the QE. All in all it was a right state. I neatened some of the old frames by removing some of the comb below the frames because it was getting in the way. They aren't drawing any of the super combs yet.

Should I raise the brood frames to reduce the space between the frames and QE?

Cheers

Huw

I inspected my new colony today ( bought it 1.5 weeks ago). I bought it as a large nuc; they were in a national brood box on 8 frames.

The bees had built wild comb above the brood frames, tying them to the QE. All in all it was a right state. I neatened some of the old frames by removing some of the comb below the frames because it was getting in the way. They aren't drawing any of the super combs yet.

Should I raise the brood frames to reduce the space between the frames and QE?

Cheers

Huw

Do that and they will probably build comb downwards.

Seems you have the bee space wrong somewhere. Did they build between the frames?

They are crying out for you to remove the queen excluder.

you always get some brace comb, easier to twist the QE flat and slide off off flatish, rather than lift as you pull the frames up if you lift...and clean off all brace comb on top of the frames and also the Q excluder when you re assemble

removeas MidB says but only for a few days

your frames should level 1mm below the rim of the brood box, are they?. if you have a plastic or punched metal sheet QE, they are theerefore almost touching and get braced wherease a wire frames one haa the correct bottom bee space on one side of the QE..and...err shpuld not get braced, but it will....what type do you have?

Last edited:
Need details of your hive. Without those, one is really unable comment on what might be wrong - except that the bee space is awry somewhere.

Regards, RAB

Thanks for the replies.

The hive is a Thornes flat pack National and I'm using a wire QE. The space above the frames (DN5) is way too big by the sounds of it. I followed the instructions to the mm too:banghead:.

I'll try to sort a strip to fit in under the frame sides to lift them to the correct position which will be easier said than done:ack2:

The frames were quite messy when I got them, brace comb between frames, willd comb beneath etc. I'll give it a few days for the weather to improve before trying any more major work in the hive. I got stung 5 times today on the fingers which now look like sausages

Thanks for the replies.

The hive is a Thornes flat pack National and I'm using a wire QE. The space above the frames (DN5) is way too big by the sounds of it. I followed the instructions to the mm too:banghead:.

I'll try to sort a strip to fit in under the frame sides to lift them to the correct position which will be easier said than done:ack2:

The frames were quite messy when I got them, brace comb between frames, willd comb beneath etc. I'll give it a few days for the weather to improve before trying any more major work in the hive. I got stung 5 times today on the fingers which now look like sausages

can you get a photo, thornes instrction are crap, so you are not the first nor the last to have problems

the top of the inner wall on a thornes should be basicialy level with the rebate ledge on the top bar...then the metal runners should lift the frames 6mm higher than the wall/top bar ledge

see diagram, on the the top bar is slightly lower but inpractice the thorns are leval....waht the bottom like?

Do that and they will probably build comb
Seems you have the bee space wrong somewhere. Did they build between the frames?

i ssume you mean biuld under the frames ..well No, bees ignore most of the area under the frames...see my rant on the thread recommneded varroa floor

it does not matter if it is , 20, 25 or 30mm frombottom of frame to floor...just needs to be enough not to crush a pile of bees on the floor...BS specification is 1 1/8 to 1 3/8 inches..err 27 to 28mm if you are french

get above that and yes drone comb get biult

Built for bottom bee space?

Wire excluder in a frame?

Bottom bee space, the frames should be level with the top edge of the brood box or maybe down a mm. Top bee space, the wires should be level with the top of the brood box.

Several ways it could be done. Probably several ways to get it wrong, too.

Simple and it works - but only when it is right!

Regards, RAB

Thanks for all the info. The top of the frames are way over 6mm below the top of the brood box, probably closer to an inch so obviously need raising.

I'm starting to wonder if I nailed the inner boards the wrong way i.e. the top space is underneath:confused:.

I've still got the box that the colony was in when I bought it so will transfer the whole lot to this then sort the spacing issues.

Built for bottom bee space?

Wire excluder in a frame?

Bottom bee space, the frames should be level with the top edge of the brood box or maybe down a mm. Top bee space, the wires should be level with the top of the brood box.

Several ways it could be done. Probably several ways to get it wrong, too.

Simple and it works - but only when it is right!

Regards, RAB

nay , just think a lot of people didn't have meccano as a kid...IKEA furniture instrctions are a doddle compared to Thornes old instructions...

i just fix the top and bottom bars into the long sides with drilled screws then slide in the smaller sides , nail the runners on the smaller sides then use a frame to ensure the frame top sits 1mm below the outers walls top..bang nail , finished, Thornes have you measuring, and nailing the box together then fixiing bars ..too many ways to go wrong

bang nail , finished

Agree with the rest, but screw these too. It can be undone if ever needed. And anyway, too many people drive each nail fully home before checking it is all still in the right place......

Regards, RAB

bang nail , finished

Agree with the rest, but screw these too. It can be undone if ever needed. And anyway, too many people drive each nail fully home before checking it is all still in the right place......

Regards, RAB

:blush5:

Sorry if this sounds silly, but you have fitted the frame runners haven't you?

Sorry if this sounds silly, but you have fitted the frame runners haven't you?

I have indeed;)

The measurements in the instructions allow for a top bee space I think. In hindsight I should have used a top bar as a measure.

I'll remove the QE this morning to encourage them up into the supers as suggested. The rest can wait until the weather improvesbee-smillie

Sounds to me that you have built the brood box with top bee space - not sure how, as the rebate for the frame ends would get in the way!?

Anyway, if it is top bee space, then the QX is required to sit directly on the brood box edges. ie no requirement for the wooden surround.

Latest posts

Back