Should i move them to a nuc?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tkwinston4

Field Bee
Reaction score
WBC/Smith/National/nucs in Horsham, West Sussex.
Hive Type
Smith
Number of Hives
Been building up a small caste swarm that i picked up late in the season and they are doing well and onto three frames now. They are very busy - even in this crap weather and they are taking down syrup like there is no tomorrow.

Question is should i move them into a nuc yet or leave them a few more weeks to see if they build up any better.

As of a week ago the queen was still laying.
:bigear:

i would leave them, Have you filled the b/box with frames i asume you have
if so let them get on with it closing down the entrance to aid wasp attack :drool5:

This is an area where I get a little twitchy, as a newcomer in the first year, I have no real perception of 'too late'. To include my own experience, I have the peculiar situation of two relatively weaker hives (one a captured swarm and one a nuc) which are developing. I have been debating whether I should combine these but I have held off (as RAB so eloquently put it "two queens a laying"). I would imagine that they are on about four frames, each.

But the blessed bees have thrown in another challenge, as, for whatever reason, one of my other colonies appears now to be Q- ! A frame of eggs and YB has produced two or three QC's at the last inspection. My logic says, combine the colonies and migrate the spare Q to the Q- hive. But, grasshopper has learned that it may be better to leave things to the bees, at least for the time being. I'm feeding all and now have Apiguard on and I'm watching the whole thing with interest. Fascinating, and a little worrying to boot. Sorry to trample all over your thread TK, - it seemed fairly relevant.

Edit: 'Though I'm not sure whether it's reasonable to expect that a new Q will get mated up and laying this late in the season(?)

Last edited:
'Though I'm not sure whether it's reasonable to expect that a new Q will get mated up and laying this late in the season

Still drones flying here. It depends on the weather during the few weeks following emerging though.

Latest posts

Back