Should I extract a super to give Q- hive more room?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beezy

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Hi,

I returned from holiday to find that my bees had unfortunately swarmed and about 10 Q cells (sealed) on various frames. No eggs at all, just sealed brood. I have destroyed all but 2 of the best looking cells, so am hoping that one of those will be viable.

My question is about space: the bees are on 14x12, and they seem to be filling most of the empty cells with nectar. They have 3 supers, 2 of which are full (one about 1/2 capped) and 1 about 2/3 full. Should I extract the full 1/2 capped one to enable the bees to refill this super rather than filling the cells in the bb?

Many thanks!

Are they working the 3rd super at all? Is it foundation or drawn comb?

Personally if they are not working that 3rd super i'd leave well alone until there are signs of the new queen coming onto lay

They will soon move nectar to give the queen laying room and they may need the stores that are in the supers if you are having a june gap / dry spell there.....

You run a big risk of losing a cast swarm if you leave two queen cells. If you want to play safe move one of them into a Nuc if you can.

Hi, yes the third super is 2/3 full at the mo. The other 2 are full.
I was advised to leave 2 in by an experienced beek - as they're my only hive, maybe better a risk of 2 possible Qs than none? I've read about the cast swarms but am unsure when this can happen - is it only when the Q(s) have mated or would one potentially take off with a cast swarm straight away before the mating flight?

Latest posts

Back