Should I call??

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Alphakillpestie

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
It`s been a bad year so I`m left with 2 for now
The bee inspectors, I have recently got back into the saddle after a forced break from beekeeping where I couldn`t look after them properly but now I have been given a couple of colonies one a rescue and one swarm picked up last week.

However the rescue hive was one box and I couldn`t part the frames as it appears to be a huge amalgam of comb and brace, I am currently in the process of moving them off the comb into a new box on new foundation but am waiting to see the queen before I slip the excluder in.

But here`s the rub, I have just recently in the last 4 days noticed a few, not a lot of partly metamorphosed larvea being hauled out by workers by my count now about 6 I have forgotten most of my previous nouce an am concerned as I don`t want to dive into the original box and cause problems or damage the colony which is quite healthy from the looks of it and are flying and bringing in plenty of pollen.

Any Ideas what could be amiss at this time and should I seek assistance??

Many Thanks

Tony

Varroa problem I'd guess. Give the fera guy a ring if in any doubt. He's a real nice guy had him out couple weeks back to inspect a couple of colonies I've just taken over. Seeing as your in my area I'd hate to have a outbreak of something nasty. He'll advise on any treatment needed. not worthy

could be quite a few different reasons other than EFB

1) drone larva removed as change to colder weather

2) Deformed Wing virus

3) chilled Brood at edge of cluster due to change to colder weather

4) dead larva killed in the move

5)high varroa infestation

i'd monitor and report to the SBI as necessasry

Its likely just the cold snap, as the experts have opined, but in any case you should register on beebase, etc ...

Thanks Lads, the`re currently in my garden so I can keep a close eye on them

I`m moving them to their permanent site this week just in time for the nearby rape to build them up. Once there I`ll register them on the Beebase.

Bunny

Latest posts

Back