Help Support Beekeeping Forum:

Rachelw 

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
national
Number of Hives
1 colony from last year and 1 swarm I caught in May
I have just had my first look at my bees. The regional bee inspector, who is a member of our local association and lives close by, offered to come with me - so I welcomed him with open arms! All was going well - they have drawn out a couple of frames already and there were eggs, larvae and sealed brood and they all look healthy. We found the Queen in the middle of a frame and then all of a sudden she wasn't there! The bee inspector is worried she may have flown away. He has told me to check tomorrow and let him know. Should I be worried? If she had flown, will she go back to the hive?

Heather 

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
national
Number of Hives
Was she marked- more likely she moved onto another frame - they can be skittish. Only worry if no eggs in 3 days time- leave till then to let them be...
And if she flitted she may well come back- just check no bees clustering under the hive - in case she dropped off- but think the bee inspector should have been aware of that possibility!

Mike a 

Drone Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
langstroth
Number of Hives
Between 17-20
Was she marked- more likely she moved onto another frame - they can be skittish. Only worry if no eggs in 3 days time- leave till then to let them be...
And if she flitted she may well come back- just check no bees clustering under the hive - in case she dropped off- but think the bee inspector should have been aware of that possibility!
:iagree: 100%

She should find her way back if she flew off, but you should of heard a completely different sounding buzz if she did.
In the immortal words printed in large friendly letters on the front cover of Hitchhikers guide to the galaxy " Don't Panic "
:)

Midland Beek 

Drone Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
none
As per previous posts, an egg is an egg for three days. And if the queen flew the workers would by now be busy raising emergency queen cells on young larvae - these are things that you can't really miss.

Rachelw 

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
national
Number of Hives
1 colony from last year and 1 swarm I caught in May
Thanks for your reassurance. I plan to leave them to settle for a couple of days and then look after the weekend. Am I right in thinking that if the queen has gone then by monday there will be uncapped queen cells?

Rachel

Latest posts