should i be doing something??

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Peebels

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
Hi all,

Hope everyone had a good Christmas and new year!

Just wondering if there is anything i should be doing with my bees??

They went into winter very heavy but i have been advised to feed them bakers fondant because of the cold snowy weather? Is this generally a good idea and where do i place it? On the crown board on the frames??

What about the Ox Acid treatment? Its currently snowy and cold here and i figured i should not really be opening the hive?

Any advice welcome.

P

By food i take it you mean give it a lift?

Really silly question now! Given the cold weather and reduce bee activity, should one heft with or without bee suit?

Without a suit he means lift the hive up not feeding
just do it gently they wont even notice and put it down the same

Not a daft question thats the whole point of having a forum

Grub

I tried today - took a while to lift off the frozen base slab
Took advantage of the snow blocking the entrance so not followed by any bee:). All seem ok, but quite a bit of evidence of uncapping under the hive so have fondant ready and will stuff some in when a little warmer to open. About 8" snow still, and more due Sat.... Trees are buckling under the weight - shame

Would i be correct in assuming that uncapping = bee braking into stores??

I suppose my next silly question should be, what kind of weight am i looking for? They are in a standard national brood box! All frames were full at the start of winter and i remember it was very very heavy?

How can you actually tell from the amount of cappings on the floor the amount of stores actually used?

For example, how many cappings does one frame of stores produce?

Last edited:
Back