short Video 1936 how it use to be done part 2

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
sorry had feed back that the multple video from You tube are not dispalying parts 2, 3, a 4 correctly on some PC,on the previous thread so re posting individually

Barnet BKA 1936 made by Elstree studios

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cn6gx-aiOX0&feature=related[/ame]

Interesting that they're advocating emergency Queens cells in the A/S.....a great 'oldy worldy' film. Loved it!

That was amazing, I got a lot from that film, although I know some things are done differently these days. I especially liked seeing the queen cells, and where the new queeen had emerged from it.....that is something I have yet to see :)

Thanks again Muswell :)

right, here we go, questions for part 3....firstly, what is a rack of sections? what is it for? Secondly, with regards to dealing with the swarming, are there any bees left in the parent hive, and if so, what happens to them? I am off to watch part 4 now, probably have more questions for you then :) I'm a nosey little parker aren't I ;)

right, here we go, questions for part 3....firstly, what is a rack of sections? what is it for? Secondly, with regards to dealing with the swarming, are there any bees left in the parent hive, and if so, what happens to them? I am off to watch part 4 now, probably have more questions for you then :) I'm a nosey little parker aren't I ;)
A rack of sections is a special super designed to hold basswood sections (handi small folded frames approx 4"square . These are for use on the heather , after harvesting each small section is cleaned up placed in a nice box and sold as a whole ! heather honey doesn't set but is difficult to extract so the section is a perfect way of selling heather honey . It is so prettily packed (by the bees) that it fetches a better than average price :coolgleamA:
A hive (single brood box has 11 frames, the guy only took 4 leaving 7 with their attendant bees in the parent hive . These then rear a new Queen as shown in the video .
Hope this helps ;)

john Wilkinson

Ahhhhh, Thanks again John, loved the vids, they were amazing. Really gave me a taste of what bee keeping is about, although I understand some of the techniques aren't used anymore. Now I know what to expect over the following year :)

Ahhhhh, Thanks again John, loved the vids, they were amazing. Really gave me a taste of what bee keeping is about, although I understand some of the techniques aren't used anymore. Now I know what to expect over the following year :)

Kazmmc

if you remember the walled garden in the video, that were i keep my Bees...a green belt area in london called Totteridge and is an area small field, hedges and footpaths

The Pitched roof Hive is one of TOM BICK's who is on this forum ,he biulds very nice hives

Wow, you're bees must be very happy there, out of the way with plenty to collect from. I do remember the garden from the vid.....I've watched them over and over. Although they are from another era, bee hives and comb look the same still. I might make an up to date one when I get more experienced.

Nice hives ;) lol, wish I lived a bit nearer, I could spend all week there...it looks so peaceful.

Wow, you're bees must be very happy there, out of the way with plenty to collect from. I do remember the garden from the vid.....I've watched them over and over. Although they are from another era, bee hives and comb look the same still. I might make an up to date one when I get more experienced.

Nice hives ;) lol, wish I lived a bit nearer, I could spend all week there...it looks so peaceful.

yes, it very peacefull, they nearest neighborough is a small sister of mercy convent...very silent neighbours, some somehow very tranquill...
http://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/132275

http://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/592167

five minutes walk from a tube station, development of houses stopped due to WW2 and never re started

Sounds idyllic :D I live about a mile out of the city of manchester...saying that, there are a lot of green spaces around here, so I can't complain. I was walking around the park nearby the allotments today and doing a scout run for the ladies.....long avenue of lime trees, which they will love next year as the flowers have died off now, but plenty for them to buzz about. there is a river running along the allotments too. City bee heaven I think. I hope :)

If you type in Cromwell range, manchester uk into google maps, you will see the school and the brighton grove allotments behind it, there are parks on both sides...it's not the countryside by any means, but if you zoom out you can see how much green space there is for an inner city area. It suprised me, I am quite lucky :)

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back