Shook swarm without feed?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stedic

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
None
I know Shook swarms are controversial.

I’m converting my hives from 14x12 to nationals. I’ve started a Bailey change on one, but am wondering about a shook swarm on at least one, as much as an experiment as anything else.

The colony I have in mind is very strong and will need a nuc taking soon or something to prevent swarming. So I was wondering, if I wait until there is food in the super and then shake them, would I need to feed? Or is it better to remove the super and feed?

My thought is that it will free up the extra brood box more quickly, and that the brood reduction now will reduce the swarm urge. Obviously a smaller summer foraging force but that is OK for one colony.

I know Shook swarms are controversial.

I’m converting my hives from 14x12 to nationals. I’ve started a Bailey change on one, but am wondering about a shook swarm on at least one, as much as an experiment as anything else.

The colony I have in mind is very strong and will need a nuc taking soon or something to prevent swarming. So I was wondering, if I wait until there is food in the super and then shake them, would I need to feed? Or is it better to remove the super and feed?

My thought is that it will free up the extra brood box more quickly, and that the brood reduction now will reduce the swarm urge. Obviously a smaller summer foraging force but that is OK for one colony.

Personally I'd leave the super and put down a small amount of fondant to make sure they get by while they become established. It's best to keep checking, if you see them show interest in the super and notice the bees managing the stores you should be OK, just make sure the queen has room to lay or they'll probably abscond

Latest posts

Back