Shook swarm and Q intro

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mandeville

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
WBC
Number of Hives
The SBI has just given me the all-clear after the 6 week standstill because of EFB - yay!! :)

But he was concerned about the level of sac brood and has suggested requeening.

I have been offered a queen which I'd like to put into a colony which was a split from earlier in the season. To reduce the level of the virus in the hive I was thinking about either doing a shook swarm or just replacing the old frames which came from the original hive.

So my questions are ..... I know it's getting a bit late for doing a shook swarm but is it the best option?

If I do a shook swarm - what should be the sequence of actions? Put the new Q in first and then do the shook swarm? How long after?

Or shook swarm first and then the new Q?

Or do both at the same time?

Bailey comb change if it must be done with feed as the main flow is almost over. Admin, can we have a red pulsing banner on the home page about those shook swarm, it's painful to read that beeks are still considering it!! As for sack brood I believe it is with the queen, its not like nosema that can be spread with bees walking everywhere.

Shook swarms.
Yes the BBKA has a lot to answer for
I heard a beekeeper yesterday describe a shook swarm for CBPV and wonder why the colony had failed

Hi Mandeville, What was the remedy for the EFB - it is usually shook swarm or antibiotics. I had a small swarm a couple of years ago which I despatched because of bad sacbrood. What are the state of your colonies after the EFB? In a strong colony hygenic behaviour of nurse bees usually keep sacbrood under control. Requeening, clean comb, emerging brood from healthy colonies and feeding, but it may all be in vain. What did the SBI suggest you do since he has actually seen your colonies? Shook swarm - cage queen and shake in the bees.

I was hoping for some helpful suggestions about methods of dealing with infected comb but just got the usual anti-shook swarm rants - oh well ...

Hi Mandeville, What was the remedy for the EFB - it is usually shook swarm or antibiotics. I had a small swarm a couple of years ago which I despatched because of bad sacbrood. What are the state of your colonies after the EFB? In a strong colony hygenic behaviour of nurse bees usually keep sacbrood under control. Requeening, clean comb, emerging brood from healthy colonies and feeding, but it may all be in vain. What did the SBI suggest you do since he has actually seen your colonies? Shook swarm - cage queen and shake in the bees.

Thank you beeno - yes the SBI did shook swarms to deal with the EFB and that is now under control. The concern now is that the level of sac brood and possible residual, currently undetectable, EFB may overwhelm the colony. The SBI said to monitor closely, requeen where necessary, and to shook-swarm the colony that is on old comb next spring.
As I've been offered a queen, I was considering trying to deal with it before the winter, which is why I asked for advice on how to do it.

I think the inspectorate are coming round to destroying all EFB colonies are they not?
As for sac brood removing infected combs and requeening with a new vigorous queen should sort it.

Last edited:
I think the inspectorate are coming round to destroying all EFB colonies are they not?
They are - too many cases of the problem recurring. Unfortunately the influence of the BBKA is creeping into the higher echelons of the NBU.
Many Commercials have now given up on it and destroying on detection.
In the end, one of the triggers for EFB is stressed colonies and you don't get a more stressed colony than one that has been shookswarmed.

Last edited:
Back