shock horror

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wightbees

Queen Bee
Beekeeping Sponsor
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
How long is a piece of string
I went to check my hives today and to give them some fondant if needed.
One hive had the odd flying bee which i thought was great. I put some fondant on in case they need it and went to the next hive.
As i took of the crown board quickly to put some fondant on i could see the cluster of bees moving about but what shocked me was the amount of DEAD bees on the open mesh floor.It was covered in them. Surely this is not right or a good sign.
The other 2 hives i have no idea ,as a quick fill with fondant but couldn't see anything.

A pile of dead bees at this time of year is normal.
Either its to cold for them to clean up or they are not so houseproud.

Most of my hives have a pile of bees on the ground outside the entrance.

Thats made me feel abit better :) Thanks Admin

Thats made me feel abit better :) Thanks Admin

just cleared 50 dead out of the entrance , did not even get to the floor

first warm spell and, you'll be even more worried as they will have pushed them out onto the landing board

remember if you had 50,000 in summer then it reduces to 30000 going into November and you will have 10,000 left in spring, so thats 20,000 bees dying over winter

10K at worst and with luck some 15k.

Panic when they are dead and try not to panic before.

PH

Pile of at least 100 decomposing into the ground in front of the entrance of the hive.

Ben P

Went to see my one colony 2 day 50 or 60 been thrown out on floor i can see 20ish on wire floor hopefully the bees will eject them 2 morrow. Hive still ok weighy wise will give fondant new yr

Can we just put this one to rest please.

You will have bees die off over the winter. This is natural and normal.

The colony will move those corpses out as soon as they can. This is normal.

So can we relax please over this. When to get uptight is when they are dead, and frankly at that point there is nothing you can do.

PH

I agree ph it must be tedious to hear all the new beeks stressing over possibly nothing, however from only haveing kept bees for 19mths I can still remember my panic last spring when the floor was littered with bees around the outside of my one and only hive. I was fairly sure it was normal but still wasnt sure if it something to worry about. surely its better to check with those that know then to carry on regardless and possible not only lose your colony but risk infecting neighbouring hives?

I said nothing about tedious. I merely pointed out in a (I hope) gentle manner that it is not worth stressing over.

PH

"Can we just put this one to rest please.

You will have bees die off over the winter. This is natural and normal.

The colony will move those corpses out as soon as they can. This is normal.

So can we relax please over this. When to get uptight is when they are dead, and frankly at that point there is nothing you can do."

PH

Ask ask and ask again !!!

Nobody has to answer a post if they dont want to.
The best way to learn is to offer advice if you have a year or so under you belt.

Well half a bottle of wine latter and reading these post i now feel better:)

Thanks for the info all :)

To all
This forum has a very useful SEARCH tab and it works well and saves the same questions over and over, its also good for research

Recycling at its best (or worst)

Very few dead bees outside my hives, as soon as the undertakers chuck them out the bluetits and great-tits hoover them up - good source of protien in an otherwise harsh winter.:drool5:

great search tab, but have to admit that due to user error I can never get the answer I a looking for!! :smilielol5: Hats off to anyone who can

I've had trouble with it- found I do better with the advanced search.

I keep getting an error message:- "ID 10 T" I wonder why?:rofl:

Latest posts

Back