Shelves

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wilco

Queen Bee
BeeKeeping Supporter
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
15-ish
If anyone's after some hefty shelving for workshop/similar then Lidl have got some shelving units in which can take 175kg each, it's a system with 5 shelves which are a rather convenient 46cm deep. At current prices, it's almost worth having for the 'wood' (some sort of thick OSB/chipboard type stuff) although I'll be stacking my supers and spare BBs on mine... Take a trolley though, they're heavy.

https://www.lidl.co.uk/p/diy/parkside-metal-shelving-unit/p45696

If anyone's after some hefty shelving for workshop/similar then Lidl have got some shelving units in which can take 175kg each, it's a system with 5 shelves which are a rather convenient 46cm deep. At current prices, it's almost worth having for the 'wood' (some sort of thick OSB/chipboard type stuff) although I'll be stacking my supers and spare BBs on mine... Take a trolley though, they're heavy.

https://www.lidl.co.uk/p/diy/parkside-metal-shelving-unit/p45696
Thanks, they look good. How thick / substantial are the OSB / chipboard shelves? I have been caught out in the past buying shelving where the metal structure was adequately robust, but with shelves made of little more than hardboard.

There are 2 sizes Lidl do. One is ideal for hanging national frames in (just don't put the wooden shelves in - the bars are the right width). The other size is just shy and it does not work.
My local Lidl seemed to take the spares from other shops way after it first came on sale. 2 years ago I filled my warehouse, buying them all at reduced price - £15!!!
As to the chip board shelves - Don't get the shelving wood material wet and it will be fine.
When contructing them, wear gloves as there are sharp bits. Use rubber mallet for tapping in connectors.

Thanks, they look good. How thick / substantial are the OSB / chipboard shelves? I have been caught out in the past buying shelving where the metal structure was adequately robust, but with shelves made of little more than hardboard.

I'll get a photo shortly, just doing bathtime.

You obviously have very sound judgement. Photos attached. Board is approx 10mm thick. Second photo poorly shows surface through the plastic wrapping.
Many thanks. They look to be just the job. Unfortunately, as the Lidl tautologous slogan goes, "When it's gone, it's gone":

Midl Lidl Shelves gone LR.jpg

I'm told that MDF is better than chipboard if you can get it, but I don't know why that should be.

If there are none left at LIDL, when my recycled kitchen units finally fell apart I bought some for the workshop earlier this year from here:

G-Rack.co.uk

that seem pretty good so far. They came with MDF shelves that we gave a coat of left-over gloss paint to give a bit more protection from damp. I bought their red 265kg load ones, but they do them for other loads as well (and do deals for multiple units). They even came with feet and brackets to lock adjoining sets of shelves together.

James

Many thanks. They look to be just the job. Unfortunately, as the Lidl tautologous slogan goes, "When it's gone, it's gone":

View attachment 28537

Want me to take a look here and see if there are any left? Can hang onto them until we can work out transport logistics as you're not the closest!

Want me to take a look here and see if there are any left? Can hang onto them until we can work out transport logistics as you're not the closest!
It is kind of you to offer, but these days it is rare for me to be in your neck of the wood - and the carriage would be prohibitive.

I shall watch out and see if they come back - doubtless at a higher price

Latest posts

Back