shelter for bees

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

burch

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
None
Number of Hives
hi guys i have a hive that is on my allotment it has security fencing around it and i want to plant some shrubs etc that will grow up the fencing and give food/shelter what do you suggets

Willow will get you a screen pretty quickly

Willow roots very easily. Cut some shoots from a tree and just stick them in the ground.

you want to cut thick pencil size sticks from any willow, just remeber to put them in to ground the right way up, other shrubs that you could use how about a rose with or without thorns, if you had a frame to grow things on there are some lovely climbers the girls would like honey suckle or ivy for a autum feed, as for shrubs well where do you want to start

Why not grow some runner beans up it, these would provide some shelter in summer and food for you in the autumn, also try growing some form of climbing fruit bush like the tayberry, don't know if the runner bean flowers will be to the bee's liking though.

I'm not disagreeing with anyone, but asking a genuine question: I've read that bees won't forage really close to the hive as that's where they, erm, poo. Is this true?
If so, surely planting bee-freindly stuff near a hive make any difference to the bees?

Lots of bee friendly flowers in my garden and they fly straight over them so there might be some truth in it.:confused:

Mine forage on the allotment where thay are situated. So far this year I have seen them on gooseberry, damson, blackcurrant, apple blossom and brassica running to seed. Out of that lot gooseberry is probably the most popular. Beyond the allotments I think Dandelion has been the main forage this last few weeks although it is coming to an end now. I also think they visit a lot of trees such as willow, sycamore and horse chestnut.

My bees work Jananese knotweed in September, it grows very near the hives . (no I am not the land owner, also the stuff is notoriously difficult to surpress:( )

John

Yep, would second that. Mine were working the Lenten roses round the hive this spring and the snowdrops. It would have been easier to walk back than fly.

Latest posts

Back