Sheds

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wilderness

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
4 + 1 nucs
I read this at the weekend in the magazine that comes with the Sunday Mail.

OK I'm out of the closet as a Mail reader :rofl:

"What you must try to understand is that every man is an emotional inadequate and we need weird, ritualistic order in our lives. We need space where we can insulate ourselves from emotional contact with others, particularly our female superiors. This is the true meaning of the shed"

What does your shed mean to you?

Somewhere to hide from Mail readers..........:biggrinjester:

Somewhere to hide from the housework!

Somewhere to put all my beekeeping tackle and where Mrs S can't tidy up.

this is a close subject to my heart , its amasing how men think of ways of getting away from the one's who must be obayed. the shed to me if i can find any room init it is my refuge, the smell of dust , the roar of the power tools . the smile when things are done correct. sheer heaven.:nopity:

My 'studio' shed is my only place that is mine and mine alone, you need permission to go in there, do not dump stuff in there.
I have always shared, beds and bedroom with my sisters as a child, bedsit with a mate and bed and house with my husband, 33 years so far( I think I might keep him), so I deserve a place just for me and my shed/studio is that place.

Since starting bee keeping I seem to have taken over 2 sheds and half a garage. And there is still just 'something' outside the back door that has been attracting wasps:confused:...what an understanding husband I have. He walked out yesterday and actually cheered- Yes! no wasps!! :party:

My shed is a haven where I can watch my hives from the window and keep all my bee paraphenalia. HWMBO keep out!
Cazza

No shed. I am shedless. I am deprived.

I do , however, have a three car garage, with a pit, power and lighting of course, with c250sq metres of storage in the floored attic above it..
Edit and a separate study of my own (of course).

to me a shed is the last baston of male cave man instints, a place where i can go and be a true alpha male, a domain where i am truely king where all domociles bow before my and where my word is law and etc etc, its also some where i can sit and think a place free of the tax man and government interference a land of hope and glory. its also full of bee keeping equipment and BEE'S and it also has my comfy chair installed for matters of true sitting and thinking.

and then i leave and reality kicks in or should that read where reality kicks me in the teeth, and finaly its back out and under the thumb of the wife and back to doing as one is told/instructed by the real boss of the family.

never mind off to shed land at the weekend and will put the crown of alpha male back on, untill the wife tells me to come home. lol

My shed is my haven of peacefull solitude at the plot if I want it, a place to relax with a steaming cup of tea and a bacon butty made on the woodburner in the corner. Also a place where communal get togethers happen, again with large mugs of tea and discussions of plants and seeds currently on the go....also tends to be our unofficial committee room!! :D

I was once involved with the BBC Radio 4 womans hour lot .
They were about to run a series called 'Shed Culture' do discuss what men got up to in their sheds :reddevil:.
They had been using a scanner and had picked up a conversation between us Radio hams. On hearing us refer to our "Shack", they assumed we were operating from sheds (the term shack' is generic for all amateur radio stations)
After becoming intrigued , they changed tack and changed the theme to "Fishing in the Ether ", ran to 4 episodes. My bees even got a mention :D

Back to sheds .
My shed just isn't big enough (never will be !) I added another one ,still not big enough, the greenhouse has become a store room ,still not big enough.
You don't half collect an awful lot of gear with this beekeeping lark :ack2:

John Wilkison

My shed is my 'safe place'. I know I am safe from family there because it is protected by huge Cardinal Spiders (affectionately known as "Herman").

The largest Herman found to date had a 110mm leg span. I was impressed, the family wished it was not in the lounge. There was a lot of shouting and screaming. The lounge then became a safe place, but it was only temporary.

Herman now has a family. So I added another shed.

The more sheds, the safer I feel.

When we moved here there was one shed, then another appeared 'for the cat', then one as an apple store (but there are never any apples in it)...and then finally another arrived for 'bits and pieces'. I have to fight for a corner...and my better half (!) always stacks my bee stuff so that what I need is always at the bottom...:willy_nilly:

And one other thing - WHY DOES EVERY SPIDER IN DEVON LOVE MY SHED???:beatdeadhorse5:

And one other thing - WHY DOES EVERY SPIDER IN DEVON LOVE MY SHED???

Hmm.

Don't worry , you are not alone...
Although shedless, our old house attracts some of the biggest spiders I have seen. Some must be as old as the house.

At night, they escape from the edges of the floor and creep across the carpets...

As for our loft!

My shed is allot of metal bits still inside a cardboard box in the corner of the kitchen

Latest posts

Back