SHB Video

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
None
Number of Hives
0 - Now in beeless retirement!
Just in case anyone is getting too jolly and festive have a look at what SHB* larva look like: [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lfzWhiheOWw&feature=related[/ame]

*Small Hive Beetle - but unfortuately switching to a large hive like a Dadant doesn't keep them out.

lol he said there are a few in the fish box hate to see a lot of em.

Beetles Oh My

Greetings from the USA. I hope you do not get the beetle they will make you give up beekeeping. The female beetle can lay 600 eggs and they can hatch in as little as 19 hours. The bees here are learning as we are how to cope with them but it has taken its toll on a lot of beekeepers. The larvae eat the pollen and bee larvae and as they crawl through the honey conb they defiate and cause the honey to ferment. The colony usually absconds and the beekeeper is left with a slimmy mess. Hope the UK does not get them.

Could the North West of England be too cold for the beetle?

This from the fera booklet* on SHB:

Could the Small hive beetle survive in
the UK?

Yes. The Small hive beetle is well able to survive
even in the colder climates of North America,
such as Minnesota and Wisconsin. It has also
reached Canada. Studies in the USA show that the
adult beetle can survive during winter in the
winter clusters and can therefore survive in any
location where bees exist.

Limiting factors

Important factors that affect its survival are:
temperature and humidity, which are more
important than soil type. For completion of the
life cycle temperatures ranging from 17-25°C are
ideal. Consequently we can predict that apiaries in
milder parts of the UK would be more affected
than those in colder areas.

Which suggests it will survive anywhere in the UK but will be more of a pest in the south. Why did I ever leave Carlisle?

*https://secure.fera.defra.gov.uk/beebase/downloadNews.cfm?id=85

I have often read that if you live close to an airport you should keep an eye out for them in your hives.

I think the transmission into the uk could also be caused by importing Australian queens.

From Wiki:

Internationally, the Small Hive Beetle has spread to Australia being first identified at Richmond, NSW in 2002. Subsequently it has affected many areas of Queensland and New South Wales.
It is speculated that a combination of importing queens from other countries and beekeepers moving their hives has caused the spread.

Although imports of queens to America/uk is from the other side of Oz I have heared a whisper that its possible to send queens from Queensland/NSW accross the country and then ship to the states/uk.

"where's Jo Grant when you need her?"

Showing your age Dr S! I still have nightmares over those episodes.
Cazza
She was recently seen on the Sarah Jane Adventures showing her age and suffering from a trout pout.

cazza

indeed - watched the death of the doctor on the plane a few weeks back.

definitely not matured as well as SJS but somewhat better than roy castle!

I did an "emergency response" day with fera and SBI/RBI from lots of areas so they even think its a matter of when not if.

Back