Shall I attempt using the Apidea?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hazem

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Hi,

I mention in the section of the forum that I found several queen cells. They looked "nice" in the sense of shape and size. I have 3 brand new Apidea units. I never used them and not sure how to use them. I read a bit on how to rear queens using the Apidea.

I am very tempted to have a go. However, I am not sure how to remove the queen cells?, how and where to fix the queen cell in the Apidea?, how to scoop a cup full of bee into the Apidea?

Any suggestions, support and encouragements is welcomed.

Thanks

Hazem

This is where using wild cells becomes tricky.

The normal chain of events is that movable cups are used whether by grafting or by using a "system" such as Jenter.

Your bees for the unit are best got from brood put above an excluder and are then sprayed with water and put in a box to be moved to a new site.

They are then left for 24 hours, so they know they are queen less, broodless and hopeless. They are sprayed with water again, and made sufficiently wet that they can be scooped by the mug in to the unit.

At this point a virgin is slipped in.

After this virgin is mated a cell is then used to start it over again.

So can you use these cells? Not in an apidea no. However there is noting stopping you from making up nucs, conventional ones that is.

PH

i agree with PH, was replying and he beet me to it

Hi,

I mention in the section of the forum that I found several queen cells. They looked "nice" in the sense of shape and size. I have 3 brand new Apidea units. I never used them and not sure how to use them. I read a bit on how to rear queens using the Apidea.

I am very tempted to have a go. However, I am not sure how to remove the queen cells?, how and where to fix the queen cell in the Apidea?, how to scoop a cup full of bee into the Apidea?

Any suggestions, support and encouragements is welcomed.

Thanks

Hazem

Depending on where the cells are, you may be able to use a sharp knife and cut them out. if you take a bit of comb with it, a cocktail stick through the very base (ie not the actual cell) will allow you to support the stick on 2 Apidea frame tops and let the cell hang inbetween. It is not easy to cut the cells out well, but is possble with the right cells and a bit of luck. Alternatively you could use a cell protector, and put it into the side of the Apidea, although I would prefer to use the other way.

I say, what have you to loose, other than a cupfull of bees per Apidea, which the colonies may be glad to loose if they are throwing up queen cells?

No reason why wild cells cant be used in apidea's.
PH's descrip[tion is of the ideal way to set up apideas whereas in practice its possible to have a fair degree of success while setting them up anyoldhow when you find queen cells doing normal inspections

Hi
I put a couple of wild cells in a Kieler mini nuc, which I expect is more or less the same as an Apidea.
Did as marcros has said, and got both mated up fine.

Have a go, it's the best way to learn.

Rich

No reason why wild cells cant be used in apidea's.
PH's descrip[tion is of the ideal way to set up apideas whereas in practice its possible to have a fair degree of success while setting them up anyoldhow when you find queen cells doing normal inspections

I agree. 50:50 success rate for me over the years. If you don't try then your success rate is a big ZERO!
The Q may be ok and you can always requeen at some point if she isn't. My experience is that they are on the whole ok.

Except for a mug full of bees you've got nothing to lose and you may win.

I have had mixed results doing that... much less success moving queen cells off comb into nuc soon after sealing, much more success when move them once tip is bronzed and they are ripe...

Hazem
Make up Apidea frames with 2 cm strip of wax attached to top of frame.
Close entrances but keep ventilation screen open.
Use your choice of sugar/sugar syrup/fondant in the food box. Damp the top of sugar if using.
Remove the Q cells carefully and keep upright and warm.
Push Q cell (Q age 13 days best) on the frame nearest the food BUT facing the entrance. You can use a cell protector if you are using foundation.
On your upturned roof shake a frame of bees into something like a cat litter tray. Spray immediately with a fine spray of water. No swimming lessons please!
Take a large mug full of damp bees and quickly put into the Apidea.
Quickly put on cover and roof.
Leave in a cool dark place for 2 days to help stop absconding. They are quite noisy.
On the 3rd day (Q age 15/16 days) ideally at night open the entrance to allow bees to fly.
Check the food supplies every other day.
Check after a week to see what is happening.

Hope that helps

Birchdale.......you might find it much easier to fill the mini nuc's from the bottom.....you only need to push the slide closed then....no roof to replace or top bars in the way of tipping in the bee's,they all pop in nicely in one go from the bottom...apidea's,swi-bines and kielers are designed to be filled this way.

Thanks guys. I will try and see what happens.

Just received an email from my Beekeeping Association telling us that Mr.Terry Clare, who is the President of Bibba, and an expert on the use of mini mating nucs is visiting us on the 20th to talk about Apideas and give practical hands on workshops as well. That will be very interesting.

Will keep you informed.

Hazem, how did u get on with the apideas? Did u try them?

Thank you all for your replies. I had a go using the Apidea with a virgin queen and some bees (less than what is recommended). Left them for for over 3 weeks. When I inspected them last week I found one frame still untouched, the second is well build with stores and the 3rd had stores and some capped brood.:hurray:

Very good experience, learnt a lot and next time I will do it better. How long can the new queen stay in the Apidea? Should I move here immediately to a new home? or she can stay till I need her?

Thanks

Back