Settling Tank

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

melon

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
I am thinking of investing in a new stainless steel settling tank. Looking at a sloping floor one or a conical floor one to improve ease of bottling. Just wondered if anyone has any experience of these and is able to make any comments. The conical floored one has a pipe to the honey tap, and I wonder if thick OSR honey easily passes through this.? Many thanks for your help.

Until recently all of my jarring up was done through plastic rectanks, reasonable cheap, take 30lb buckets and easy to clean - recommend as a must have type item.

https://www.thorne.co.uk/honey-and-...s-storage-and-strainers/tanks?product_id=4697

Upgraded then to a heated tank with creamer (Abelo) for set which has given a better quality finish with less intervention by me. Very pleased with that purchase which has led me to now purchase a 2nd heated tank purely for liquid - this is more as an upgrade to scale up volume processed. Well made bit of kit at a reasonable price. Link to the type of thing I have

https://www.abelo.co.uk/shop/warming-honey/honey-liquefier-decristilizator-55l/

Something to consider is the weight of the tank with Honey in and the jarring up of said product - 30lb through the rectank wasn’t an issue, set through a 50L creamer is a nightmare to move - two person job plus backache jarring up that quantity. Investment in a larger tank for liquid has also lead to investment in a lift for man handling tanks and a jarring up unit to deal with larger quantity of end product. Have fun & let us know what you end up with, OSR will set in valves & pipes if it isn’t warmed/kept warm - this may be a limiting factor on what you have in mind

Last edited:
The conical floored one has a pipe to the honey tap, and I wonder if thick OSR honey easily passes through this.?

Is this the type you're talking about:

https://www.abelo.co.uk/shop/tanksbottling-valves/honey-settling-tank-50l-premium-line/

Will be interested in what you find. 50L is perhaps oversize for me as tend to only process a 30lb bucket at a time. The plastic tank that WoodenBeam links to is what we have at the moment and is great on a tilting stand - apart from the fact that the last 1/2 jar of honey gets trapped by the big plastic valve nut inside. Ideally a 20L version of the Abelo is what I'd be looking for.

With OSR, normally it goes for soft-set anyway and after the mixing stages it's *slightly* warmed before putting into the tank to bottle - so 'thick' OSR is not really an issue?

If you don't have a warming cabinet or other setup, it's a must in my opinion as all honey can then be kept in buckets (and settle) until needed to be processed and/or jarred.

I was referring to melon's post :) but that item looks interesting - I've always assumed they were just a heated settling tank, but the description says "liquefying honey in jars or buckets" ?? So can you sit a whole plastic 30lb bucket inside to warm up? What is the temperature range? - the website information is on the poor side.

From 30 degrees up, more info on the Lyson site

http://lyson.eu/przechowywanie-miod...-drum-side-wall-55-l-75-kg-2059766032648.html

Could be used for buckets but that would make it an expensive warming cabinet though

I am thinking of investing in a new stainless steel settling tank. Looking at a sloping floor one or a conical floor one to improve ease of bottling. Just wondered if anyone has any experience of these and is able to make any comments. The conical floored one has a pipe to the honey tap, and I wonder if thick OSR honey easily passes through this.? Many thanks for your help.
Hello melon i use the abelo - lyson 72ltr settling tank they work very well the conical bottom in let all the honey out with having to tilt it. give it 24 hours to let the air rise i have mine in sat so the sun warms it. lyson make go kit at good prices. having a bucket rest helps to drain the honey in to the tank

Latest posts

Back