Settling in a captured swarm

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mickeythemoler

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
None
I'm new to bee keeping. I captured a swarm about the size of a 2 litre PEP bottle yesterday. I have set them up in a hive with a queen excluder over the entrance (she's inside). The bees had a good feed before going in last night. It's now a coldish morning and the bees are torpid. There seem to be a few dead one in the hive (about fifty). There are comb frames in the hive (one of unorthodox construction) I have a bottle of sugar syrup suspended upside down on a tree nearby. What should I do next? Any help gratefully received.
Mickeythemoler[VID][/VID]

Remove the bottle from the tree.

It may just attract every bee in the area and ten your new colony may come under attack.

Ps I do think this is a wined up but just in case you are serious I have replied

Get someone with experience to look at them and take down that bottle of sugar syrup asap - you will be encouraging robbing. If they need feeding then feed within the hive.

:iagree:

New swarm - QE under brood box for 2 days to keep Queen in while they settle (Unless you are walking swarm in :rolleyes:)-then remove it. She may be a virgin so needing to get out and about...
Let them use up the stores they brought with them- so getting any disease out of their system - then feed after 2-3 days
NEVER EVER leave a feed where all and sundry have access to it- World War 3 and disease risk will kick in.

I think you need congratulations for hiving a swarm when you were so new. I have really valued this forum as a resource - even if you have a mentor, they cannot be on hand to answer every question and most of the time someone is on here and will help. I'd read lots of books, been on a weekend course, had someone offer to be my mentor then got bees, then went on my beginners course so not the perfect sequence. I have also found that you can put almost any beekeeping question/phrase as a search in youtube and find a wealth of answers. Yes, you need to be aware some may not be doing it perfectly or they are in a different location - but it all helps. Early on I asked one mad about his hive which looked odd to me and had a circular entrance high up. He did not even understand why I was asking the question as he was in canada so hives were mostly like that - entrance higher up to allow for the long period of deep snow. This last winter made me wonder whether it was something we'd been doing in a few years.
And do join your BKA. It is a great comfort to learn from the experienced members especially when they are kind enough to emphasise they ahd disasters when they were new, too.
Tricia

Back