Serving honey in a frame

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alldigging

Drone Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
I've just seen packaging for selling honey by the frame...

So how does that work at the table when you want a bit of honey on your toast? Is it just for show?

I have seen honey served in the frame at some European Hotels Breakfast buffets.
It is more display that functional I would say but certainly shows off Honey in it's natural form.

Look in Th0rne's catalogue (and search this forum) for 'sections'. That's what the mini-frames are called.
Hard to get the bees interested.
'Cut comb' should be much easier - and eaten the same way, wax and all.

I use wooden mini frames that I make with a fine starter strip - bit of a gimmick really but some chiefs like it to serve to small groups of guests, probably more trouble than it's worth.

Chris

I keep a frame in the kitchen and scoop off or cut out what is required. In my mind it is the best way to eat honey. If you have used foundation, just scrape it back to that with a spoon. Lovely:) You wouldn't want to eat the foundation:-/

I've just seen packaging for selling honey by the frame...

So how does that work at the table when you want a bit of honey on your toast? Is it just for show?

where have seen the containers for sale?

Wasn't sure about posting the url of it

Last edited by a moderator:
thanks for the link, I've been trying to locate suitable packaging for whole frames for the last 2 years!!

I will definitely be giving it a try next year so much less hassle than putting in to Jars.

I am surprised the link has not been removed considering its a commercial site - but hey !

Sounds like a nice idea, but looks like it would get very messy very quickly.

If you search for The Hive Honey Shop you will see they sell full frames from £55 -£69 depending on the honey in the frames.

I think this is really just for giving as special presents.
Must be worth a small fortune.
Certainly an unusual gift :)

I think this is really just for giving as special presents.
Must be worth a small fortune.
Certainly an unusual gift :)

Not *ONLY* for gifts ...

It is certainly intended for *SALE* ...
... which makes me wonder about Trading Standards, Environmental Health, Labels, and all the rest.

Assuming a normal British Standard frame of honey is valued between £10-£15 to a beekeeper depending on the weight of honey, the cost of the frame, foundation and honey jar etc, the Honey Frame Packaging concept is designed to help beekeepers secure over double that amount from the sale of the same frame.

Latest posts

Back