Septic sewage systems - keeping them clean!

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ziggymole

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
warre
Number of Hives
None yet.
OK, I can't be the only person on here who lives "off grid" so to speak and has a septic tank & sewage system. I've recently had to register with the environment agency and this has co-incided with the two yearly emptying. The lad who did the job says there are additives I can use to keep down fat, oil & grease which stops the system working, and may in time lead to a fine from the environment people. :eek:

Does anyone use an additive, are they any good, what do they cost?

Try googling "Tarax septic tank" - there's an English version. They sell appropriate products. (Most rural areas here are "off-grid"). Hope this helps.

Thanks Luminos,

I've spent a lot of time reading now and the weight of opinion seem to fall in favour of NOT using an additive but doing all the things we've always done to cut down on fat/oil/grease.
We're off to rural France next month - sounds like we'll be right at home. Does it rain as much there though?

Thanks again
Jan

All the systems I have seen/helped to install route the kitchen water via a grease trap, thus removing fat/grease before it reaches the septic tank. Only toilet waste and bathroom "grey water" go direct.

Re weather:- 85mm of rain so far this month and it is currently +30C:) -

Thanks Luminos,

I've spent a lot of time reading now and the weight of opinion seem to fall in favour of NOT using an additive but doing all the things we've always done to cut down on fat/oil/grease.
We're off to rural France next month - sounds like we'll be right at home. Does it rain as much there though?

Thanks again
Jan

Generally it only rains the whole of July.
...when did you say you were visiting? :biggrinjester:

This year I have been using sachets called "bio7" which I bought in France, you pour the powder into a toilet once a month. Not sure how much difference it makes long-term but i have not had any blockages or nasty smells since I started using it.

Generally it only rains the whole of July.
...when did you say you were visiting?

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

check out blue bio a biological toilet additive for caravans to septic tanks also if built well a tank should last at least five years but that all depends on you outfall system

Thank to everyone who took the time to advise.

It appears from all the reading I've done today that a grease trap would have been the answer if it had ever been installed, but failing that weight of opinion seems to be let the tank do it's job, that there's plenty of good bacteria being added each day anyway, to cut down on grease/oil/fat & don't use water wastefully, ie short showers, no kitchen waste disposal down the sink etc etc. In this household all that can be easily achieved by getting the kids to move out!;)

Thanks again
Jan

Hi,
We're of the grid too, our thing with oil, grease, fat etc is to tip it in a shallow bowl, add a jug of wild bird seed and as much old bread as it will take, mix it all up and stick it out for the birds, you'd be suprised at how quickly they clear it all up.

We try to keep chemical cleaners to a minimum to save disturbing the balance in the tank, I'd recommend that next time you have the tank emptied you arrange to have the soakaway jetted, we have it done every 4 -5 years it helps the 'liquid' drain away better and can reduce the emptying period.

Regards
Ray

As the CD. Ovber-copious use of bleach should be avoided and salt regenerated water softeners are also not good.

Only poor systems are likely to give trouble. 'Kept in good working order' is far better than 'remedy' after it has stopped working!

Hi Coffin Dodger,
Jetting the soakaway/filter is a good idea and one I'll try as it's been in service for about twenty years now and must be clogging up a bit but I don't want to dilute the bacteria in there too much. To be honest our biggest problems are with grease etc, we don't knowingly put any into the septic system, excess oil is poured off into the ashes from the fire the pans are wiped with kitchen roll and then that's burnt. In winter we use all oil/grease/fat (except chicken) for bird food with bread and oats.

Hi O90O,
I've never been one for harsh cleaning stuffs, plain soap and water mostly, it's only rarely that I'll use an anti bacterial and that is usually with kitchen paper so it ends up in the fire. You're right about avoiding problems and with the threat of environment agency inspections I'll give a lot more thought to what ends up in the tank in future and keeping the filter aok. Cutting down on the quantity of water is the main thing so the outfall doesn't get sodden.

My thanks to all who answered
Jan

OK, I can't be the only person on here who lives "off grid" so to speak and has a septic tank & sewage system. I've recently had to register with the environment agency and this has co-incided with the two yearly emptying. The lad who did the job says there are additives I can use to keep down fat, oil & grease which stops the system working, and may in time lead to a fine from the environment people. :eek:

Does anyone use an additive, are they any good, what do they cost?

We use a bag of Bicarb (500g) every forthnight which is roughly a heaped table spoon daily, this will keep the ph around 7 which is ideal for bacteria to work. You can also use a teaspoon of yeast mixed into 500g of brown sugar ( which has been dissolved in 1ltr of warm water) monthly. If you do a search on "oxygen bleach for septic tank" there is lots of info.
I hope this helps

Jan
Do you know/can you find the route of your kitchen waste pipe? You may be able to retrofit a greasetrap.

just a few answers.
your out fall needs a herring bone filtration system,it is buried in the garden from your septic tank,
or your over flow goes to a water course.
now if you have filter system and doesn't go to water course you are off the grid and do not pay sewage charges,
but if you connect to a water course you will have to pay sewage charges
now the only way is smelly dirty and back breaking work,
first you find the closest point to your house dig down and fit grease trap,
next you need a 4 ft steel lamp iron pin from the grease trap sink pin in ground every three foot mark with peg all the way to septic tank,
then do the same from the septic tank all the way to the end of pipework,
now you have the entire route pegged out buy some drain rods,
empty you tank out from your house lay your rods out (i suggest you buy locking rods that do not unscrew when turned) and dig down a three foot square hole cut pipework and install inspection chamber,and repeat every amount of rods your got
rod up to you house to clear pipework of fat (i know some one will say rodding wrong way but i know best ) have water ready in buckets to water down fat,repeat thou whole system you should get with your rods a 4 " plunger and a corkscrew no not for opening bottles use cork screw first then plunger after fitting grease trap and cleaning out pipework system ready for another fifty years
good luck and dont forget plenty of showers it does tend to stink
the inspection chamber may fill up but dont worry

Check your loo paper too! You need to use a brand that breaks down easily. This doesn't need to be a really cheap sandpaper version.... Put a couple of squares in some water and see if it starts to fall apart quickly. I've found that Andrex is ok but Cushelle is not, if it doesn't break down quickly enough that can cause blockages too!

Latest posts

Back