Seperate new beekeepers forum section ?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Should new beekeepers have a seperate section to chat and support each other ?

• Yes It's a good idea

Votes: 75 28.4%
  • No. Things are fine as they are

Votes: 169 64.0%
  • Not Bothered.

Votes: 20 7.6%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

BKF Admin

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
I have been asked by a new beekeeper if we could consider running a "New beekeeper" section on the forum seperate from the main beekeeping section.

As the forum is run by its members the choice comes down to what everyone thinks ?

The pm is pasted below:
================================================================================

any chance we could have a board just for new beeks? I know I am not the only one who sometimes feels drowned by all the experts (of course their views and advice are really important and useful).
But if would be good if us new'un's could have a board to talk about all our silly stuff that the experienced guys could get board with. Its sometimes like putting 1st years with 6th formers in school! what do you think?

As a new beekeeper, I have had brilliant advice and guidance from the more experienced members of this forum. If there was a section for new beeks, I would have been too unsure of myself to join in with those more experienced. It should be left as it is. I would never have learned so much in such a short space of time on a beginners forum.

yep I was thinking similar, Maybe a new beek chat room for support issues?

Some simple pointers to info we need often when i try to search for stuff nothing comes up!:banghead:

Is there an index of general terms/ abreviations? might help some people

Surely the whole point is to get the best advice from the most experienced beeks.

At least if i post bad advice by mistake it will soon get picked up, by someone who knows a lot more than myself, and no harm is done.

This was me last year :willy_nilly:

& this is me now :banghead:

See how far i`ve come in a couple of years :D

I have been asked by a new beekeeper if we could consider running a "New beekeeper" section on the forum seperate from the main beekeeping section.

As the forum is run by its members the choice comes down to what everyone thinks ?

The pm is pasted below:
================================================================================

any chance we could have a board just for new beeks? I know I am not the only one who sometimes feels drowned by all the experts (of course their views and advice are really important and useful).
But if would be good if us new'un's could have a board to talk about all our silly stuff that the experienced guys could get board with. Its sometimes like putting 1st years with 6th formers in school! what do you think?

I think its a good idea, as I feel some of my questions are dealt with "oh no not that again" Even when I have done a search and found nowt.
A New beeks forum shouldn't stop the experience beeks going on to help, but the ones that don't want to, wouldn't have to open the post to see what they are. They would know its going to be a new beeks question.

Pete
New beek and proud (sounds like gay pride :eek:)

As a new beekeeper, I have had brilliant advice and guidance from the more experienced members of this forum....It should be left as it is. I would never have learned so much in such a short space of time on a beginners forum.

:iagree:

There would also be problems deciding which forum to post to

Maybe we could have a frequently asked questions section?
We could search there to see the answers to common problems/issues. I know that you can just use the search button but if a FAQ section was there all would and could use it and add to it.
Btw. You are all wonderful and I don't think I would still be beekeeping without your support. I look at the forum everyday to see what's new.

If like me then perhaps most people just click on "New Posts" and take little or no interest in the particular section of the forum I simply look down the list read threads of interest and chip in if I think I can contribute.

I think it would be useful to have a 'starting out' section, which could contain basic information on things like settling in a nucleus; when to add a super; syrup ratio etc etc.

I tend to only use the " New Posts " link at the top so it is unlikely most of the forum users if they do the same will miss requests for help.

I think some of the posts contain a lot of "narrative" that might be better in a blog.

The forum has been very busy over the last couple of months as new beeks get their bees and need to ask questions. It will quieten down once we get into autumn.

Why not have a sticky titled
New beeks please read first. Then once i have read it all i will not keep asking silly questions :biggrinjester:

No - I know it must be annoying for more experienced beeks - but I have picked up so much knowledge from all the posts, if I was only on the newbee forum I would be very limited as to what I couldlearn!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back