Sentient bees?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've always thought this is more likely at the hive level than the individual bee. In fact an old psychiatry prof I had once talked us through a seminar which really opened my mind.
We naïvely hyper-rational medical students were keen to dismiss any 'hocus pocus' suggesting the mind came from anywhere other than the brain. Prof pointed out that if consciousness can derive from purely physical interactions such as in a brain then why not from the physical interactions in a bee hive, or a solar system, or a galaxy, or a universe. And if the universe can be conscious who could dismiss the idea of a God. I've never heard an argument that defeats this logic.

Last edited:
I've always thought this is more likely at the hive level than the individual bee. In fact an old psychiatry prof I had once talked us through a seminar which really opened my mind.
We naïvely hyper-rational medical students were keen to dismiss any 'hocus pocus' suggesting the mind came from anywhere other than the brain. Prof pointed out that if consciousness can derive from purely physical interactions such as in a brain then why not from the physical interactions in a bee hive, or a solar system, or a galaxy, or a universe. And if the universe can be conscious who could dismiss the idea of a God. I've never heard an argument that defeats this logic.
Now that's a very interesting line of argument... Although that wouldn't be the God of the Abrahamic faiths, still intriguing.

I find it easier to believe that an animal is sentient than to think that its not.

Sent to me by a friend. I have looked no further yet than reading the article . Tautz has already done some of this work on bees " counting" and measuring distance.
https://www.theguardian.com/environ...sect-iq-tests-causing-a-buzz-among-scientists
Try getting hold of Tautz's book The Buzz About Bees - it's fascinating. He completely convinced me that a hive works in a v similar way to a mammal's brain, even down to keeping a constant temperature... Tautz, The Buzz about Bees

Back