Sending honey in the post

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hachi

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
Commercial
Number of Hives
Damn! A lot more than I ever thought I'd have
I need to send a mate a couple of jars of honey now he's found out I'm a beekeeper.

What's the best way to package the jars?

Thornes do sell some poly packaging/boxes for jars,

I find simple flip top posting boxes with shredded paper are perfectly OK
Have a look how Black Mountain Honey package their boxes

I've actually just bought some double-walled packaging boxes designed for sending mugs. They're a good size for a jar of honey, with a bit of shredded card/paper around it, and I can fit in a honey dipper and a pack of wildflower seeds too. I'm trying to avoid using any bubble wrap, so the extra thickness in the sides of these boxes is reassuring. If I'm sending two jars of honey I just tape two of the boxes together. So far so good...

I wrap jar in a poly bag, bubble wrap and then place in a carboard carton made from folded large cartons.
Cheap , easy and they work...

I would send soft set rather then runny.

I've actually just bought some double-walled packaging boxes designed for sending mugs. They're a good size for a jar of honey, with a bit of shredded card/paper around it, and I can fit in a honey dipper and a pack of wildflower seeds too. I'm trying to avoid using any bubble wrap, so the extra thickness in the sides of these boxes is reassuring. If I'm sending two jars of honey I just tape two of the boxes together. So far so good...

Got a link please

If it's any help to anyone I use 150mm square double walled boxes. I can fit 3 12oz hex jars in each box. Wrap each jar in a strip of cardboard. Put a layer of shredded cardboard (saved from deliveries I get) in the base, put the jars in and pack shredded cardboard around sides and top.
Before taping the box up, check the weight and remove a bit of packing if you need to, to keep below 2kg. Less than 2kg is classed as a small parcel if sending via Royal Mail, which was about £3 last time I sent one.

Thanks both.

Have you a link please Mel to your box?

Posted lots of honey.

No need for fancy boxes. A good tip like Mel says is is to roll a piece of thick card around the jar to make a tube, make it longer than the jar, then pack the ends so the jar stays in the middle. then box the tube with some more filler and it should be bomb proof. Its handy like if you post mutiple jars in one box like Mel.

You have quite a big box size for most couriers small parcels. So use a good size box and pack it out.

Luckily I can get tones of those polystyrene boxes free from work, they are perfect for posting 1-2 jars. If you can find a company that revives stuff in those boxes near you, they will happily give them to you. But the internal space is very small.

So for larger order,s I tube and box. Using any old boxes and filler.

I only want to send one or two jars. I';ll look at making a box I think.

If just a small number to a friend so presentation isn't an issue, lie the jars end to end and roll tightly in cardboard so it's a few times around. Cut the ends in three, each layer staggered a bit like rose petals and fold them in so ends are sealed.

The trick is to but them in a plastic bag (for leakage rather than breakage) then into a box with bubble wrap around each and not touching then with newspaper packing loosely around that. . Do not pack too tightly. Job done

Latest posts

Back