Selling honey to restaurants

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Curly green finger's

If you think you know all, you actually know nowt!
BeeKeeping Supporter
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
86 + nucs/ mini nucs
Morning I've dropped of two samples to a very respected restaurant in ludlow yesterday and I've had a phone call asking how much I want to sell it for per lb they don't want a lot and we agreed £10 a lb, what do others sell theres for to restaurants IMG_20210617_083922.jpg
Advice, comments cheers
Mark.
Two samples in photo.

Expensive cooking honey ...mind you, with a ring of bubbles/crud around the surface you wouldn't win any prizes in a honey show so probably best to sell it for cooking ....

It's also very pale colour ... too early for the lime trees and borage - what is it from ?

Morning I've dropped of two samples to a very respected restaurant in ludlow yesterday and I've had a phone call asking how much I want to sell it for per lb they don't want a lot and we agreed £10 a lb, what do others sell theres for to restaurants View attachment 26825
Advice, comments cheers
Mark.
Two samples in photo.

There are always "quantity discounts" to consider if they bought in volume, but you indicated this would not be the case. So, I'd ask what size jar it's being sold in?
There is a lot of labour-cost (not to mention jars, labels, etc ) that goes into the small pots you've shown. It can actually be cheaper to sell it in larger size jars - it depends on what they'll use it for. Catering-size is usually sold in food-grade plastic buckets (various sizes). Glass jars are usually for presentation to the final consumer.

There are always "quantity discounts" to consider if they bought in volume, but you indicated this would not be the case. So, I'd ask what size jar it's being sold in?
There is a lot of labour-cost (not to mention jars, labels, etc ) that goes into the small pots you've shown. It can actually be cheaper to sell it in larger size jars - it depends on what they'll use it for. Catering-size is usually sold in food-grade plastic buckets (various sizes). Glass jars are usually for presentation to the final consumer.
The 1oz jars were tasters, they would be buying it in buckets Paul but not loads..
I was wondering what other folk charge, I get where your coming from though.
My bulk orders of more than 50 jars at a time get a better deal.

Wow.....£10.00 a lb......well done! As I’m not far from you means my price won’t be competing. More power to your elbow as it’ll hopefully demonstrate to others in Shropshire that we‘re selling a premium product!
We are ;) my friend. our Shropshire Herefordshire and Worcestershire honey in general is a good product I think there is alot more none osr honey around this spring.
By the way we only have hives in South Shropshire and Herefordshire.

I think there is alot more none osr honey around this spring.
And yet everyone else around the country is reporting a disastrous OSR failure this season
I thought you said a while ago that your farmer had ploughed the whole lot back in.

And yet everyone else around the country is reporting a disastrous OSR failure this season
I thought you said a while ago that your farmer had ploughed the whole lot back in.
They did locally to far away for the bee's with the weather the other fields that were later flowering.

Hence there being no osr honey
For me any way

Morning I've dropped of two samples to a very respected restaurant in ludlow yesterday and I've had a phone call asking how much I want to sell it for per lb they don't want a lot and we agreed £10 a lb, what do others sell theres for to restaurants View attachment 26825
Advice, comments cheers
Mark.
Two samples in photo.
Here you go Mark ... at £10 a pound you can make £7.50 a pound gross ... 75lbs is £560 gross profit ... less a few quid to get it delivered - nobody will ever know it's not from Clee Hill ...

https://beekeepingforum.co.uk/threads/honey-for-sale.50845/

Can someone control this moderator pls? Why? :cry:
It's only a month ot two back you were asking if anyone had any honey for sale ... I thought I was being helpful ? You seem to be selling everything your bees produce ...

You bought in goodness only knows how much previously - 90 lbs in buckets that was set which you asked me how to turn back to liquid ? Why the fuss now ???

£10/lb in buckets is good money, Mark.
A North London ice cream maker wanted buckets; I offered 20% discount on £12/lb but they didn't bite.
Today a deli asked for honey (I was buying coffee in a filthy beesuit) and I said that they'd probably want 40% and that I wasn't prepared to give that much; she suggested 20, which shows that they need it.

Reactions: mbc

Latest posts

Back