Selling honey through a local shop.

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nickhugill

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
Langstroth
Number of Hives
Hello

I have been asked by a local shop keeper if I would supply them with honey to sell through their shop. At what sort of price should I be looking for from the shop keeper. I understand they need to make a profit, but I don't want to give it away.

They usually need about a 30% mark up from the price you sell to them.
BUT....Nick you are in a tourist magnet area. Premium price. I would take the time to check out a few deli's etc in the area and see what they are selling at. Bet it's £6-7 for a 12oz jar. I would want at least £4 for a 12oz jar to a shop.
If deli's are higher than £7 go to £5.
Don't be shy, you have a premium product that people are willing to pay good money to obtain.

Most shops want a regular supply throughout the year (and more needed during winter months) so would you be able to do this with a small number of colonies

They're struggling to get local suppliers so I think they will be thankful for what they can get.

I've been asked to supply a local Garden Centre, I haven't as yet simply because of the quantity they are looking for which I am unsure I can maintain, I currently only supply to a Barber (weird place for Honey I'll agree) I sell him 14oz jars for £4.00 but than as has been said, it depends on where you are as to the value you should give it.

hope it goes well.

I've been asked to supply a local Garden Centre, I haven't as yet simply because of the quantity they are looking for which I am unsure I can maintain, I currently only supply to a Barber (weird place for Honey I'll agree) I sell him 14oz jars for £4.00 but than as has been said, it depends on where you are as to the value you should give it.
hope it goes well.

Reminds me of the camera shop in the Irish Republic I visited. They also served fish and chips.

I sell to the shops at the price I sell at the door. I could sell all my honey at the door so why reduce the price for a shop. They then sell it for whatever they want. They still manage to sell it. The secret is to label it locally . For example Robin Hood honey with a suitable logo. People buy it for souvenirs.
E

I sell to shops at £5 / jar for 12oz jars (or £5.50 for heather honey) - and they mark it up to between £7.50 and £8.50 (so at least a 50% mark up).

I sell to the shops at the price I sell at the door. I could sell all my honey at the door so why reduce the price for a shop. They then sell it for whatever they want. They still manage to sell it. The secret is to label it locally . For example Robin Hood honey with a suitable logo. People buy it for souvenirs.
E

Me too - same price. Labelled 'Suffolk Honey from [name of village] Bees'.

hope it goes well.
Something for the weekend sir? A jar of honey maybe?

Hello

I have been asked by a local shop keeper if I would supply them with honey to sell through their shop. At what sort of price should I be looking for from the shop keeper. I understand they need to make a profit, but I don't want to give it away.

As others have said, it depends on how much you have to sell, whether you could sell from your door anyway etc. As its a local shop selling local stuff in a tourist zone it might be beneficial all round to let shopkeeper have some at a little less than your normal price. Up to you, it will sell anyway of course.

How does it work when you sell your honey through a local shop, do they buy a batch off you and pay up front? Or do you provide X amount of jars and only get paid as they sell them? Just curious in case I have surplus next year.

How does it work when you sell your honey through a local shop, do they buy a batch off you and pay up front? Or do you provide X amount of jars and only get paid as they sell them? Just curious in case I have surplus next year.

It depends on the size of the outlet. Sometimes I would deliver a box (72 jars) and sometimes a couple of boxes. I would always expect payment on delivery.

For small scale, see if you can work out a deal that suits. Butchers love to sell honey. Mine asked me so no problem there, it's sort of sale or return which works out as a very cheap meat bill.

A boutique dress shop sells as much as my local bankers

Most shops want a regular supply throughout the year (and more needed during winter months) so would you be able to do this with a small number of colonies

:iagree: Not that haven't in the past run out and had to buy in to meet our commitments but we get asked to supply honey to shops and at markets "while there regular beekeeper hasn't any available" a polite refusal is usually given.
S

For small scale, see if you can work out a deal that suits. Butchers love to sell honey. Mine asked me so no problem there, it's sort
of sale or return which works out as a very cheap meat bill.​

:winner1st::winner1st::winner1st:

Nice one!!​

Chons da

For small scale, see if you can work out a deal that suits. Butchers love to sell honey. Mine asked me so no problem there, it's sort of sale or return which works out as a very cheap meat bill.

I once did a deal with a local farmer: honey for various cuts of meat when the lambs went to slaughter. I did another deal with a guy who shoots on the estate: honey for an occasional bird or two. No money needs change hands so long as everyone is happy.

seeing new comments I thought I'd give an update on my situation.

following the harvest (my best one to date) I have an abundance of the stuff! I did as was discussed and returned to the outlet within the garden centre, I took in two jars as a sample and left a couple of boxes in the car being optimistic.

I spoke to the lady who went to get her supervisor/stand in Manager, she said 'its the wrong time of year for Honey now'

to which I replied, 'no, its the right time of year for Honey as everyone has just harvested it and I have done as I was asked and returned later in the year'

she then waffled something about nobody buys it in the winter, which I thought was odd especially considering the cold remedies a lot of people use?

so I emailed the main office to explain what had gone on but I have had no reply, I guess i'm back on the lookout for a sales outlet locally but the places I can think of sell Honey from other locals who will probably get a bit funny about it.

I have sold a bucket to our local association secretary though so at least some of it has gone.

Latest posts

Back