Selling candles legally

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Now I am wondering what label I need to put on any nucs I sell? o_O
Well, I suppose with all the handwringing about sting reactions, the first label should be
" Warning! may contain bees"

Do people actually read that sort of stuff? Most of the time its too small to read and the sentences don't make sense half the time.
We once bought a Christmas tree with lights. It had the warning sticker on it, "For indoor and outdoor use only".

IMO it isn't because common sense is not present, people who sue know very well what they are doing. And apparently, as they always spout, "it is not for the money" (sarcasm). If it is not for the money then sue for 5 bucks not 5 million.

They know very well that the MacDonald's coffee was hot enough to burn, they just saw an easy way to profit off a company they thought could afford it.

Greedy people created a society that now needs useless labels which serve only one purpose, to keep those who look for a reason to sue from doing just that.

How to diminish the value of the product you’re selling - on a packet of dry roast peanuts.
May contain TRACES of nuts!!
A4B32C53-DA43-4E3B-B482-925CC665F790.jpeg

Truly, nuts!

Where are people getting the info from that candles need a hazard label?
Just from companies that sell hazard labels? Have anyone got a link to primary legislation ? heard of the candle police doing a sting operation at a craft fair? Or is this just a case of having a grump about something that is really not an issue. Pretty sure that unless you are lacing your candles with creosote or TNT and they are safe for what would be considered normal usage (no need for product testing for insertions) you will be ok.

IMO it isn't because common sense is not present, people who sue know very well what they are doing. And apparently, as they always spout, "it is not for the money" (sarcasm). If it is not for the money then sue for 5 bucks not 5 million.

They know very well that the MacDonald's coffee was hot enough to burn, they just saw an easy way to profit off a company they thought could afford it.

Greedy people created a society that now needs useless labels which serve only one purpose, to keep those who look for a reason to sue from doing just that.
You are right of course; it seems to me that those 'greedy people' who created the society were, for the most part, elected by the people in society to run things for them.

How to diminish the value of the product you’re selling - on a packet of dry roast peanuts.
May contain TRACES of nuts!!
View attachment 34079

Truly, nuts!
Oddly that's probably because peanuts aren't technically nuts! They're a legume like peas.

Where are people getting the info from that candles need a hazard label?
Just from companies that sell hazard labels? Have anyone got a link to primary legislation ? heard of the candle police doing a sting operation at a craft fair? Or is this just a case of having a grump about something that is really not an issue. Pretty sure that unless you are lacing your candles with creosote or TNT and they are safe for what would be considered normal usage (no need for product testing for insertions) you will be ok.
I've looked extensively and there is no specific legislation covering the sale of candles but if they are being sold at retail they will be covered by the Sales of Goods Act which has a lot of stuff covering safety of products that are sold. The legal position is something else - it would be very difficult for anyone to bring a case in the UK (I accept that litigation in the USA is more liberal) as there is an assumed position that the person's action is reasonable and the product is being used for the purpose it was intended.

I think manufacturers, these days, are cautious - perhaps unnecessarily - about covering all the eventualities - even when it belies common sense and the consideration of common usage.

In a past life I worked for a major fragrance house - we produced an innovative solid stick men's deodorant ...the usage instructions initially placed on the product by the marketing department were 'Remove cap and push up bottom',... Of course, as a Sales team we had a wonderful time at the launch pointing out that some people may misconstrue the instructions.

Unless you are selling your candles to major retailers in the UK I think you can reasonably assume that your customers are not going to sue you for their stupidity if they burn themselves or burn their house down. I don't label my candles with anything other than the fact that they are pure beeswax .. I'm prepared to risk the miniscule possibility of someone not recognising that candles burn and should be used in a sensible manner. We can get too wrapped up in stupidity at times ....

Latest posts

Back