Selling candles legally

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Crazyhorse

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
WBC
Number of Hives
I’ve just been trawling the trading standards site to look at the law for selling pure beeswax candles.

can anyone offer any advice of exactly what you have to

It’s not specific but insurance?
Test burns? Selling guide? Instructions

thanks

Basically nothing apart from a warning sticker as far as I can make out. Insurance is recommended I believe.

Basically nothing apart from a warning sticker as far as I can make out. Insurance is recommended I believe.
What ... like 'Be careful lighted
candles can burn you' ?
O
Same as McDonalds putting 'Hot drinks can cause burns' on the top of their coffee cup lids. Will common sense be completely eradicated by the next generation ?

I've just bought a new kettle ... it comes with an instruction booklet that has half a page of how to switch it on and off and 14 pages of safety instructions .... I despair !

Last edited:
I've just bought a new kettle ... it comes with an instruction booklet that has half a page of how to switch it on and off and 14 pages of safety instructions .
Snap. But I’m directed to the website on a small postcard inside the kettle.

Same as McDonalds putting 'Hot drinks can cause burns' on the top of their coffee cup lids. Will common sense be completely eradicated by the next generation ?

as the H&S guy at work says “the problem with common sense; is it’s not that common!”

Snap. But I’m directed to the website on a small postcard inside the kettle.
Welcome to the digital world ... I wonder what my grandparents (who never owned an electric kettle) who had a huge kettle boiling on the step of the range in the living room, almost from the time they got up in the morning until they went to bed, would think of it all ...kettle.jpg

What ... like 'Be lighted careful candles can burn you' ?

I've just bought a new kettle ... it comes with an instruction booklet that has half a page of how to switch it on and off and 14 pages of safety instructions .... I despair !

Basically, yes. It's ridiculous.

https://www.4candles.co.uk/candle-making-accessories/safety-stickers.html

I’ve just been trawling the trading standards site to look at the law for selling pure beeswax candles.
can anyone offer any advice of exactly what you have to
It’s not specific but insurance?
Test burns? Selling guide? Instructions
thanks

Careful where you place them. It wouldn't be wise to sit on one by mistake.....

Do people actually read that sort of stuff? Most of the time its too small to read and the sentences don't make sense half the time.
..and it comes in ten different languages. How many people buying these things speak all those languages?...

Well the answer to my earlier question is clearly "yes people do read the labels" - mainly daft old fools like me who can then comment on the breathtaking inanity of them and wonder what fool started/decided that Classification, Labelling & Packaging Regulations were a good idea in the first place when it comes to how to light a candle and by the way its not food so don't eat it ~ especially if its alight.

Do people actually read that sort of stuff? Most of the time its too small to read and the sentences don't make sense half the time.
Recycles quite well.

The labels may seem pointless, and common sense but if you include them with your product and someone burns their house down with one of your candles your product liability insurance will cover you. If you don't include the label the same insurance company will say "Us, sir, whatever gave you the impression we are an insurance company, sorry you're on your own".

The labels may seem pointless, and common sense but if you include them with your product and someone burns their house down with one of your candles your product liability insurance will cover you. If you don't include the label the same insurance company will say "Us, sir, whatever gave you the impression we are an insurance company, sorry you're on your own".
Now I am wondering what label I need to put on any nucs I sell? o_O

Latest posts

Back