security

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wightbees

Queen Bee
Beekeeping Sponsor
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
How long is a piece of string
When reading about thefts , it got me thinking again :D
maybe this is the way to go, sign each frame and anything else really.
worth the money if you are in a area where thefts are likely.

[ame]http://www.amazon.co.uk/Security-Marker-Pen-UV-Light/dp/B001AWTVNY[/ame]

Let me know what you all think

You would need a idea as to where your hives have gone
Or the forum and other places can highlight the use of these so people buying can check,most are honest i would of thought.If parts have blacked out marker spots every where Dogy

Last edited:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Security-Marker-Pen-UV-Light/dp/B001AWTVNY

Or the forum and other places can highlight the use of these so people buying can check,most are honest i would of thought.If parts have blacked out marker spots every where Dogy

Every single frame in our hives has our post code burnt into the top bar, the burn is at least 2mm deep. No one is reusing them without a good go with a sander or planer, and I wouldn't like to hit a full frame of bees with a planer. Similarly, every part of the hive is branded on the outside (and inside as well).

I don't think anyone would bother to check frames with a UV light.

Can anyone post source of brands one can use on hives/frames etc please?

I think that a UV pen is a good idea especially if
complimented with a couple of these.

They must cost a arm and a leg, darrenperrett

that would be a quick way of branding hive parts.
I don't think i will go with the bear trap, it would end up with me stuck in it .

Should be fairly easy to make a branding iron.

Wire coat hanger bent into whatever you want with a couple of pairs of pliers, and fitted into a wooden handle....

Will heat up with a gas blowlamp easy enough..

Be like painting the Forth Road bridge tho.... by the time you had branded all the bees it would be time to start again....:cheers2:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Security-Marker-Pen-UV-Light/dp/B001AWTVNY

how does this stop thefts?

its simply a way of identifying them once they appear in the Spring auctions :)

you use a coat hanger......how big are your bees lol

It didn't say it would stop thefts...but help ID stolen parts.
Would you buy it, if you thought it was stolen ?

Sorry all but this is fools gold.

If a thief has the knowledge to steal bees he has a site to hide them and further have a comb change and wee bonfire.

Keep your bees hidden. Keep them private. I have allowed three this year to see my apiary. But dear friends I move my bees. ;) Privacy is your safe. Silence your key.

Nothing changes, theft is not new, it is a constant.

PH

It didn't say it would stop thefts...but help ID stolen parts.
Would you buy it, if you thought it was stolen ?

Parts for sale that have a number or code on dont mean anything to a buyer.

If you put something on like.

"If you see this hive being driven after 18.00 hours,, it's stolen. Call ******"

but a bit of car body filler and a coat of paint solves that problem....

The seller only has to tell the police that he bought them at a car boot sale..and he cant remember what the seller looked like and he hasnt seen them since....

A hive full of bees is a different matter, and one assumes that the person who knicks them knows what he is doing and will probably break them down into nucs....

Can you insure against theft?

Last edited:
To be honest, i think we are quiet lucky here as i have not heard of any thefts.
But then the island is always a bit slow to catch on. Yes my hives are well out the way and i don't tell peeps where they are.
It's a shame really as the people nicking them must know a bit about beekeeping
to be able to do what they do.I can't see some hoody coming along with the idea i'll nick that move the frames over burn the hive then sell them bees split up.

If a thief has the knowledge to steal bees he has a site to hide them and further have a comb change and wee bonfire.

If he has the knowledge to do a comb change and the new kit to put them in, surely he would be better off breeding his own bees - less hassle than nicking them.

The branding of the hives is just stage 1 of the security. The 840 nm visible IR camera is stage two. I am anticipating that they'd take out that camera, so the better camera is a 940 nm non visible IR....

Devils Advocate here.

Assuming that the frames have been marked and appear in a sale at some time in the future.

Could it be argued that the frames are your property, but not the bees? as all the ones on the frames were not the ones that were stolenand if it was a newer queen i.e. you lost last years marked queen and there is an unmarked one in there now.

As I say, devils advocate here as I had something nicked and because I could not prove it to the fine detail, I was unable to prove it in court that it was my property. Even though everyone new it was mine.

:beatdeadhorse5:

Latest posts

Back